Author Topic: dehydrator to dry paint !  (Read 8403 times)

JimW

dehydrator to dry paint !
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
does anyone in the group use a dehydrator am I the only person who uses a Food dehydrator to quicken and cure paint on model's ? I started using my dehydrator back in the late 80's as a good friend of mine told me i needed to use it , he saw my wife's dehydrator setting in the shop not being used , it's great for when you have a 2 tone paint job and want to get it done in a hurry , water based paints dry in a couple of hours and lacquer, enamel take a little longer maybe 8 to 10 hours
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

pdaly28

Re: dehydrator to dry paint !
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:40:28 PM »
no..wife said I can't use it!

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 03:38:25 AM »
I have used one for many years.  Also works well to dry putty.  However does not play nice if using acrylic nail filler, makes it want to swell up in really fine ridges.  I used a piece of poster board to make the sides on mine taller so I can put my Tamiya paint holder inside.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:27:50 AM »
I've got one.....hasn't been used in a good 20 years, but never through it away. Especially after seeing an article in SA a few years back talking about the use of a food dehydrator, so it made the trip from NM to Iowa.....one of the trays managed to get a few pieces broken out, so the plan it so finish removing the tray part, leaving the side intact....but, since...............................................
Ed K.

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:10:12 AM »
I have one just for paint drying. The one I have just has the heating elements in the bottom, no fan in mine....
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 03:35:26 PM »
I've has one for years. Works good.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Yep, I use one, just a real cheapy that works great.  Will dry bottle enamel to polishing condition in about 10-12 hours.  Well worth the investment and highly recommended to anyone who hasn't tried one.😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky