Author Topic: scratchbuilt body's as per John2  (Read 9906 times)

JimW

RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

john2

Re: scratchbuilt body's as per John2
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
 :)  Thanks, Jim.  I appreciate your doing this for me.  I like all of them.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »
Very cool stuff, your showing here, Jim! Nice work!

pdaly28

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:40:38 PM »
what slim said!neat stuff!

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »
Really like that '57 Chevy and the idea behind it. Makes one wonder what would the NASCAR cars of the '50's and '60's look like with today's aerodynamics.... ;) :)

Have seen most of the modifed bodies on FB and really like the looks of them. !!   8)

Ed K.

JimW

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »
not so much of a scratch built body , but I did do some cutting off and add to the kit body of an Mono/Revell Edmunds super modified body. in the late 60's early 70's guys didn't want to race with a "sprint car fuel tank, so they used a fiberglass cover of a cut down sprint car tank , they called this type of fuel tank cover the "OKIE SPRINTER" , don't think I'v ever seen this tank cover raced any where else but in Oklahoma , Kansas and Texas. they still raced with a 15 to 20 gal. box style fuel tank under the fiberglass Okie sprinter tail cover,if you havn't seen this tank cover I hope you fella's like this tank cover it going to be added with the other tank cover when I get all of them cast in resin
[/url]

this is one of the Nance style 32 ford ducktail body's that I mastered for Fred , this body used a Revell 32 Ford body with a track nose covering the Radiator, in the mid to late 60's Nance speed shop started selling this type of fiberglass body's per the rules of the NCRA 100" super modified's .

Nance style 32 Ford ducktail body with a 29/31 radiator grille shell cover

Nance style 32 Ford "Vickie" body with a track nose radiator grille shell cover,these next 2 builds were not built by me but I did master this body for Fred , it was 1 more of the body's Fred use to sell ,

the builder of the Vickie body modified did a little more work of the body , cut out the windows and smooth out the sides

JimW

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »
another scratch built body , this was scratch built to fit a AMT Grant King sprint car chassis that I reworked to have a buggy spring on the front and T bars on the rear , this body I built way back in the mid 90's , I built this body to look a little like a model T , I'v not posted very many pics of this super modified so I hope you fella's like it
[/url]

another "cut up" 32 ford on a sprint car chassis , scratch built the hood and a few other parts on this model

john2

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:29:50 PM »
 :)  My goodness, Jim, that is a bunch of work.  I am tired out just looking at the pictures.

All of them are  good, and I can see Texas all over them.  And ....   and......   I really like that two wheel trailer, with the 98,  that was so true to life for those days.

Just a little side story here.  Somewhere way back there, probably ' 59 or '60, my cousin and I, in  college at the time,  heard that a bunch of those little Texas modifieds were going to do a show at the Shreveport, La. fairgrounds on a Sunday afternoon.  We busted out of Jackson, Ms. before daylight, and did the 225 miles of two lane US 80 to get there, and found  a slew of those things at the pit gate waiting to get in, only to have the bottom drop out.  All we saw was them pull out onto the road and head for home, which we did too.   Being just kids we could not afford to go back for the rain date.     :( :(

JimW

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:53:53 PM »
Really like that '57 Chevy and the idea behind it. Makes one wonder what would the NASCAR cars of the '50's and '60's look like with today's aerodynamics.... ;) :)
YES ED  i would love to see Nascar put tri5 chevy and 55/56 ford body's on today chassis !  that would be a race just about everyone I know would but a ticket to see that race

JimW

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »
:)  My goodness, Jim, that is a bunch of work.  I am tired out just looking at the pictures.

All of them are  good, and I can see Texas all over them.  And ....   and......   I really like that two wheel trailer, with the 98,  that was so true to life for those days.
LOL sorry didn't mean to wear you out John , I'm hoping other members will post some of their scratchbuilt body's/models in this post , it would be great as I love seeing other modelers/builders work
about the 98 on the trailer,I'v built trailers for most of my super mods/modifieds just never posted them with the trailers like the #98 super mod, my dad flat towed (with his 55 4 door chevy)most of his race cars all over Oklahoma in the 60's , I think first time he used a trailer was in 1970 he pulled that trailer all over OK. and Kansas till around 1972 or 73 when he sold the race cars ans trailer , Dad always took us boy's (4 of us ) with him to the race no matter where he raced that weekend , we grew up in the bed of his 56 1/2 ton Chevy pick-up truck, I'v always like the looks of a race car setting on a trailer ready to hit the road to the next race !
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:24:05 PM by JimW »

Dirtman

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »
That's a heck of a collection of some pretty neat race cars. Really enjoyed seeing all of these. Even got a few ideas that I stole from ya!

Rett

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
Lovin' those modified's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o ::) :-* ;D
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

David Bogard

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
All 100% scratch-built bodies John. Not sure what type you want to build but if you'll share, we can make some templates for you.

I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

JimW

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 03:15:50 PM »
I love then all David , nice scratch building skill and that IMCA/UMP modified looks spot on ! and THANK YOU for sharing your work
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:35:25 PM by JimW »

john2

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »
:)  Well, let's see.  First thanks to you both for all the pictures, and the willingness to help.

David, I am not sure what I want either.   lol   I will try to explain.  Most all of us have more ideas than we have  the wherewithal to accomplish.

Right now, I am not in a position to build anything.  But I do know that over my model building career I have tried 3 times to build slab sided cars ( 2 early 80s dirt late models, and one current day dirt modified ) that weren't worth a toot. 

Jim's blue 6 is the latest one to catch my eye.  Also, I have recently  come into an AMT '40 Ford Early Modified, and a  Revell Special Edition '32 5W Ford coupe, and my current thinking is to just swap the bodies and chassis between the two and go from there. 

I also like Jim's 98 car on the two wheel trailer, and I love the Edmunds style coupes, but I have no way to build belly pans and noses.  Meaning curved shapes.

Right now, I need to spend my time downsizing a lifetime of unnecessary stuff, and packing up what stuff I think I will still need.  And once I get moved, I have 2 series projects in mind neither of  which include anything in this current discussion.

So, don't anyone go to any trouble for me, as I don't know how far I will get, anyway,  whenever I can resume building.  And please, don't anyone send me any stuff.  lol

But thanks for the thoughts.     

Added note :  For those of you who are fans of Arlo and Janis, if you will read today's strip, you will  better understand the above comments.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:40:39 AM by john2 »