Author Topic: Fall/Winter community build project?  (Read 12774 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Fall/Winter community build project?
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:20:09 PM »
I've read some rumblings of a community build under another topic. If anyone is game to oversee it, I say go for it! I read a couple of you are interested in a box stock build. Everyone jump in and voice your opinions. Also, let us know if you will volunteer to oversee it...you know, keep guys updated, motivated, etc. This would be the first one for this board.

thx, tb

john2

Re: Fall/Winter community build project?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
 :)  As mentioned elsewhere, as you pointed out, I will enter one, but I'd better not boss one right now.  Maybe another time.  Thanks for considering that we do it.   8)
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
I would be game for a box stock cbp but not ready to oversee at this point in my recovery.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Big Orange

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »
I'm definitely interested in a box stock build, to keep things simple, and achievable. Perhaps a months long for completion, start 12/1, final submission 12/31 ?

Thoughts, ideas ??
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:54:36 AM »
I'd really like to do a CBP but.....I've got way to  many builds that I've got to get finished(started) that it will take me a few yrs to do. Plus...I just can't seem to do a BOX Stock or out of the box build. I've tried and man...something ALWAYS gets fabbed before I'm done...LOL
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:47:19 AM »
Heck.....they way I'm going, even a box stock build would not get me back to the modeling table.....  :( :( :(
On he other hand if.....IF......IF..... I were to attempt it, it probably wouldn't be a race car.... :o :o

Know what you mean, Gary......last time I did a box stock race car, it was NOT easy to do, and back then, all I really did with those old Lindberg race kits (White Lightning & Kustom Koffin) was put different tires/wheels on them...........but man, it was hard not to do that with the one White Lightning kit back in the '70's....talk about cringing......reminding myself that I "had" to build it this way....
The only thing that was not box stock were the decals.....  ::) ::) ;D :D ;)
Ed K.

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
I'd really like to do a CBP but.....I've got way to  many builds that I've got to get finished(started) that it will take me a few yrs to do. Plus...I just can't seem to do a BOX Stock or out of the box build. I've tried and man...something ALWAYS gets fabbed before I'm done...LOL
I'm in the same boat, too many other projects and not enough time and as ya say Gary.... Something is bound to get kut and changed before it's done!!!!! I can't build a box stock kit to save my life!!!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Big Orange

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
I can't build a box stock kit to save my life!!!!!!!

My idea of doing a box stock build is utilizing just what's in the box.... Meaning, you can chop/cut/raise/lower/lengthen using sprue, or chopping suspension to adjust stance etc.....but no aftermarket wheels, tires or other kit bashed parts......and that would add to the creativity of which kit to build to get the best results.....for instance, the tires for the Tobias kits are horrible, so I would not choose the subject matter, but more likely a street or drag type car.

Big Orange

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »
I can't build a box stock kit to save my life!!!!!!!

Perhaps a what's in the box build?... Meaning we couldn't add aftermarket wheels/tires, or kit bashed parts and pieces......but one could modify any part of what's in the kit.....making subject matter an important part of getting the best result. For instance, the Tobias cars are cool to build, but the supplied asphalt tires, REALLY ?, what are we going to do with them?

I'm thinking along the lines of old school racer, or rat-rodder.......use the junk you have, chop it, shorten it but make it unique and put your own flare to it.

john2

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
 :)  Could we make hood side panels from the cardboard kit box ?

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:07:40 AM »
As long as you use the inside box so that it's "Inside the box"!!!!!!  :o I crack me up!!!!!!!  ;D
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

john2

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 02:07:08 PM »
 :)   Aw heck.   if I could use the other, I might could figure a way with the top to incorporate a sponsor, and then I'd have 2 for 1, without having to hand letter.    :(

Big Orange

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

Sure, we could use the box too......never thought of that......you see John, you just added an entirely new element to the 'rules'.....LOL.

john2

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 06:27:33 PM »
 :)  lol   It was not an original idea. I read about one like that somewhere else.    The box --  not the hood sides. 

Prostreeter69

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 08:54:59 PM »
I will give it a try, just let me know what we are doing.

Jon
Mopar or no-car