Author Topic: 1957 Ford  (Read 16611 times)

MarkJ

Re: 1957 Ford
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »
Real interested to see how you do your bungie cords. That's always been a problem for me.

David, I use elastic bracelet cord that they sell at hobby lobby. I will color it with a sharpie because if you use paint it flakes off. Just tie some .032 guage wire on the ends and form them it into a hook. you make it just a little smaller than the length you need so when its installed it stays tight. I made one for the hood of 39 ford I did a couple of months ago.

MarkJ

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 06:54:37 AM »
I needed to mix paint to get the color I wanted for the model. I started out with French blue, which was too light, so I added some black, but added too much, so I then began adding white till I finally got the color pretty close to the color I used for the decal borders. when using the model master acryl, you have to wait for the paint to completely dry, because it always dries  darker than it is when you first dab it down. I now have a full bottle of paint to use on the model. Also got the engine done, and the seat.

pdaly28

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »
I also am eager to see how thepaint works out!!!love the rest of it too.I cut the bottom of the seat in half also an cut the end and glued it back on.Looks like the service seat in the ranchero work truck

MarkJ

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »
Thanks guys. I painted the blue today and am really pleased with the way it looks. Its really close to the one color reference picture I found of the car. It came from a you tube video so its not going to be exact but its in the ball park and matches well with the color chip I found for the color that i'm pretty sure the car was. There were 2 blues in 1957 one like the one I chose and a real light blue which I know its not. The black and white reference pictures I have of the car proves that. No way it was a light blue or even a petty blue like i've seen some people do this car. That's if they kept it a factory color which most teams did back then.

MarkJ

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »
Got the frame ready to prime and removed the rear seat and replaced it with sheet styrene. I taped the side trim and dash to see how everything will fit with the body installed. I must say the fit of the parts in this kit is very good. everything fits nicely without having to do a lot of modifying to get things to fit.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
Nice job on the color matching, Mark!!!  I'm looking forward to seeing this one in color!!!  Neat model so far!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

MarkJ

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
Nice job on the color matching, Mark!!!  I'm looking forward to seeing this one in color!!!  Neat model so far!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁

Thanks , Greg. I sanded the body today to get it ready for the clear. The weather looks iffy for the next couple of days but I have a lot of other things to paint on the car that can be brush painted inside the house so that's ok.

MarkJ

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 04:14:05 PM »

Bob P.

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
Coming along nicely Mark, keep us posted.

Bob

MarkJ

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »

MarkJ

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »
Is this all hand-brushed Acrylic? Looks super smooth! What brand is that again? Are you thinning it or just brushing it straight?

David, the frame is hand brushed model master acryl. I needed semi gloss black but only had a small amount of flat black that was starting to dry out so I mixed in some gloss black and a little bit of testors acryl thinner. I find if you use a big brush the acryl will go on smoother. The engine, dash and seat are just regular out of the bottle model master acryl put on with a big brush which puts the paint down smoother. The kit comes with a decal for the seat which makes it look more authentic except that its too glossy. I might hit the seat with some testors dull cote lacquer from a spray can. Its wet and cold outside so I will have to wait a few days for it to warm up again or just install it glossy.

MarkJ

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »
Don't want to be a pest  ::) but do you have a shot of what you call a "big brush"? I currently spray nearly everything and I do it in my garage so you can imagine the negative "fallout" from that. If I could do some things with this Model Master Acrylic and a brush, it would be a good thing. Thanks again!

Sure David. Its a little too late tonight. But I'll take a picture of the big brushes tomorrow and post them here. The big brush allows you to put more paint down and helps eliminate the brush bristle ridges you get using a small brush with less paint. The most important thing is to let the paint dry completely before you do another coat or it really messes things up.

Olderndirt

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »
Mark you really had me worried when you went through several posts talking about mixing what looks for all the world like Ford blue. And, then showed us a picture of that very nice unpainted Ford Y block. I was dipping my poison pen in fresh venom when the next pics came up, with the old Y block all decked out in traditional red, and black. Yah done good. I got all worried for nuthin’. I really like what you did with the front seat as well. I can’t wait to see the finished car.

Olderndirt

MarkJ

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 08:05:55 AM »
Mark you really had me worried when you went through several posts talking about mixing what looks for all the world like Ford blue. And, then showed us a picture of that very nice unpainted Ford Y block. I was dipping my poison pen in fresh venom when the next pics came up, with the old Y block all decked out in traditional red, and black. Yah done good. I got all worried for nuthin’. I really like what you did with the front seat as well. I can’t wait to see the finished car.

Olderndirt

Yes, the mixed paint is only for the body. Thanks for the feedback

MarkJ

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »
Don't want to be a pest  ::) but do you have a shot of what you call a "big brush"? I currently spray nearly everything and I do it in my garage so you can imagine the negative "fallout" from that. If I could do some things with this Model Master Acrylic and a brush, it would be a good thing. Thanks again!

Sure David. Its a little too late tonight. But I'll take a picture of the big brushes tomorrow and post them here. The big brush allows you to put more paint down and helps eliminate the brush bristle ridges you get using a small brush with less paint. The most important thing is to let the paint dry completely before you do another coat or it really messes things up.

David, Check your personal messages for info on the brushes