Author Topic: 1950 ford tow truck  (Read 9050 times)

JimW

1950 ford tow truck
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:00:29 PM »
my 50 ford tow truck , scratchbuilt tow bed and boom the sling is made of masking tape and a few pieces of styrene

I'm hoping to see more tow trucks  , so if you have 1 or 2 tow trucks lets see them ! 
I know I'm not the only person that builds them .... or am I ?   lol
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

Olderndirt

Re: 1950 ford tow truck
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
I love this build. The weathering is very believable, and the color combination is spot on. The Ardun heads are just what you would have seen on a heavy duty tow truck of that period. The three dueces would have probably had air cleaners on them though.

Olderndirt

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
Sllick enough. I drove to Florida, from Wisconsin, in a '50 pick up back in 1983, when I moved here, so they are special to me. Your tow truck is really cool!

Rett

JimW

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
Thanks you Rett !  I got a sad story about a 50 ford pick-up and my pot head brother in-law , my bro inlaw and his dad rebuilt a 50ford pick-up and it was slick  351 cleveland  custom paint rack and pinon steering , they had around $30,000 in it.  they had just got it back from the painters just a little over a week the pot head drove it off a 20" cliff rolled 2 times .... can you set TOTALED !!  robert walked away not even a cut on his dumba$$ , I felt so bad for his DAD cause that pick-up was his retirement gift to himself
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
Jim,

This is a great looking old tow truck. The weathering, colors, graphics and all the fine detail work is fantastic.

Bob

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:51:17 AM »
Great looking tow truck!!!

I've built a couple of tow trucks, but neither of them exist anymore, as in built in the 1970's
One was the MPC '71(?) Chevy P/U that had "tow truck" parts, same one that shows up now and then released as "Cooter's tow truck" to go with the other "Dukes of Hazzard" kits
The other was the Revell "Midnght Cowboy" tow truck in the later '70's, the down side of that kit was the truck was based on Revell's Sneaky Pete P/U out just before the tow truck, but the tow bed and all related parts, that someone said it looked like a Holmes 440 tow bed.
Don't remember too many other actual 1-Ton type tow truck kits.
Recently bought a "Midnight Cowboy" kit, Now looking for the old AMT GMC short bed pickup.
Saw a pic in an OLD SAE where someone mated the tow bed to the GMC kit without having to modify the frame length. But.......the GMC kit is hard to find and a reasonable price.
Am in the same boat with a big rig tow truck I'd like to take a stab at, Mating the tow bed from the old AMT Peterbilt rig, and mate it to the double Freightliner tractor kit. by using the longer dual axle frame and putting the Day cab in place of the larger sleeper cab.
Both of the above are based on real trucks that I not only saw back in the '70's, but rode with at times with the owner one tow jobs, especially the Freigthliner and his smaller Ford Louisville "heavy duty" tow truck

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread.....
Ed K.

Grt222

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 08:33:23 PM »
Nice looking truck jim. I haven't attempted one yet, but I love the old tow trucks.

spotter23

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
This is very cool, looks like it just came in from a towing job, very nice weathering work
"Looking Cheap Ain't Cool & Looking Cool Ain't Cheap