Author Topic: Tim Fields 57  (Read 3964 times)

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
Tim Fields 57
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
This 57 Chevy is a replica build of ( my cousin)Tim Field's car that him and his Dad built together back in the middle 70's. He only had two pics (Polaroids...remember them...) of the car and one was pretty bad( fadded). But....I did have him to give me info on the car(what he could remember of it...which was quite a lot) I wanted to build this for him to try and put something positive in his life as he wasn't doing so well in the health dept. When it was finished I drove down to Calif. and gave it to him...The look and emotion that he showed... was worth more than any amount of money in the world. It was an HONOR to build this car for him. That was roughly about three yrs ago..2014. Tim Passed away the day before last Thanks giving..2017. I'd like to share the build with you folks here as Tim really liked it. 

The motor was a built( to the HILT) 327 SB with a tri carb setup. Muncie 4 spd..hooker headers. This car was a street race car for sure. He said that he thinks he only lost one race when he did the street racing. 

The build...I rebuilt the whole interior to match his car. I did a tuck-n-roll back seat to match the front buckets. A set of gauges were mounted to the bottom of the dash. Also...he had an 8 trk tape player in the car(remember them???). The car was painted this really cool met Blue with ghost flames on the hood. Here's a few pics of the build and finished car. Thank you folks for looking in. I forgot to add the pics of the 1/1....
The 1/1 pics...

The Interior...
finished Dash...

With the seat piping finished...

Finished engine and chassis...

Finished car....

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:15:40 PM by Gary Davis »
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Dirtman

Re: Tim Fields 57
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
Man! That is ubdoubtedly one the best '57 I've seen done here! Beautiful build. How did you do the piping on that interior? Unreal. Sorry about your friend and am glad he got to see this one done!!!!

Rett

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:29:58 PM »
Gary,

It's easy to understand why he loved this model you built for him, it is fantastic.
The interior detail, under hood detail, chrome work and a beautiful paint job. Very well done.
You can be real proud of this build.

Bob

Gary Davis

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:53:45 PM »
Thanks Rett and Bob for the comments.

Rett...the piping is small gauge colored wire. First thing was to scribe a channel for the wire to set in...around the center section of each seat. Then...I drilled a small hole(twice the size of the wire) in the left side corner..where the crease is between top and bottom of the seat. Pushed the one end of the wire in the hole and ca glue it from the back side. Then I ran the wire in the channel to the first corner. Bent it in the 90 degree turn to the other side. Went back and the put a small drop of CA on the back side of that 90. Held it until it set up and repeated all of that until I got back to the start. I then pushed the loose end into the starting hole and glued it from the back side. That was done to both front buckets and the rear seat. I hope that helps you Rett...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:08:59 PM »
Thanks Rett and Bob for the comments.

Rett...the piping is small gauge colored wire. First thing was to scribe a channel for the wire to set in...around the center section of each seat. Then...I drilled a small hole(twice the size of the wire) in the left side corner..where the crease is between top and bottom of the seat. Pushed the one end of the wire in the hole and ca glue it from the back side. Then I ran the wire in the channel to the first corner. Bent it in the 90 degree turn to the other side. Went back and the put a small drop of CA on the back side of that 90. Held it until it set up and repeated all of that until I got back to the start. I then pushed the loose end into the starting hole and glued it from the back side. That was done to both front buckets and the rear seat. I hope that helps you Rett.

It helps! That's definitely on my "try to do" list. Thank you very much for the info! And again, great build!!

Rett

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
Oh, man......
that is some great work!!

Put this one in the right diorama or partial diorama with "live" background would make one think it would be the real thing!!
Ed K.

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 01:52:02 PM »
awesome!

Gary Davis

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »
David,Ed,Tom....Thank you for the kind words and comments...

Charlie.D

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:44 AM »
Very nice looking 57 chevy. that body style is my favorite of the tri five era. I own two different version of 57 chevy
Charlie Daniel

Gary Davis

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Charlie. Yea...I'm a big fan all the Tri5s....

Gary Davis

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 09:43:45 PM »
Thanks for the GREAT compliment Steven...I'm glad he enjoyed it too. It still gives me a good feeling when I look at the car. Not because it was my build...because it made him Waaaay happy.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:04 AM »
Gary, this 57 Chevy is a gorgeous replica and the details just keep on giving!!!  You didn't miss a trick on this one.  I'm glad your cousin was able to enjoy it.  He must have been a neat guy to hang out with!!!  Cool build!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤗🏁gb
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Gary Davis

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »
Thanks for the GREAT comments Greg. Ya...Tim,along with Teresa, was fun to drink beer and tell lies with...we laughed A lot. Talked Racing quite a lot too. He is missed...