Author Topic: Dirt Late Model>>Paint and decals on! 10/02/21 page 4  (Read 16712 times)

BobD

Re: Dirt Late Model>> Update 4/20/21
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 03:13:40 PM »
Dang Tom! You musta' measured that thing down to micrometers! Its WAY outta my league!! Can't wait to see the final product!  Are you doing the #31 Droste car originally pictured?

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 10:07:24 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Its really kind of a cobbled up thing, but I kind of like it. I want everyone to know that after Mr. Bogard got after me I added a couple bars and painted the chassis tonite! Body to follow soon.
Bob, Dennis Satorious created a crazy good set of decals for me! I just hope I can pull off the paint to do them justice. Jonathon Davenport 2019 World 100 winner!

David Bogard

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 10:29:31 PM »
It's going to turn out to be a gem Tom! If it isn't a show-stopper, that would be a first for you and I don't expect anything like that to happen!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Bob P.

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 03:29:25 PM »
Really looking good Tom, I can't wait to see this one finished.

Bob

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 05:10:46 PM »
Man Tom..your build car looks better than the 1/1. There's not a doubt in my mind that you nail the paint scheme. Is that weld joints on the roof to body line? Looks like they were in a hurry to get to the track...eh?
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 11:11:34 PM »
   I really like the way you shook pretty much all of the NASCAR out and built one of the best dirt late model chassis that I have seen in a long, long time.  Will be book marking this thread for future reference......
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 08:34:25 PM »
Tiny update....
Decided to open the hood and make a new one out of sheet stock. Got the chassis painted and glued the nose pieces all together.  This 3D nose was rough! Thanks to Mr. Bogard for introducing me to Mr. Primer-surfacer. Brushed on 3 coats, lightly sanding in betwixt each coat and now, as Sherman Potter would say, "ain't enough O's in smoooooth". Added Hosier logos to tires from Ron Coon Resins and narrowed his RW1 wing to fit. Hoping for some more bench time this weekend. As always, thx for looking!  Tb

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 03:40:29 PM by Tom Birky »

David Bogard

Re: Dirt Late Model>>Tiny Update 5/26/21
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 11:11:06 PM »
That is looking better every time I see it Tom. A lot of skills are going into this one!

Brian Conn

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2021, 08:50:55 PM »
  Question...Where did you guys get Mr. Primer Surfacer 1000 at?  I don't think any of the local stores here carry it...I could be wrong.
  David...did you spray, air brush or brush it on when you used it?

For a primer coat that sure does look nice :)

David Bogard

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2021, 10:01:31 PM »
Brian- My LHS carries it. I have used the bottle and brushed mine on. It's kind of like a liquid putty and you can thin it and shoot it if you choose but I prefer to put it right where I want to put it with a small paint brush, a cotton swab or Tamiya swab straight from the bottle. It dries quickly, adhesion is good and it sands easily (work with fine-very fine grit). It's neat stuff when you have those seam smoothing problems, pinholes or little imperfections to deal with.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:33:13 PM by David Bogard »

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2021, 06:24:43 AM »
Brian, it goes on gray. After sanding I shot it with Tamiya white primer. I think I got it at Hobbytown USA.

Tb

RCR

• Ron Coon Resins
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2021, 05:06:12 PM »
Check out our 3D resin printed rear clips for project like this. Ron Coon Resins part #'s RC_1 and RC_2.  They are a direct fit to AMT NASCAR chassis'. www.roncoon.com

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Re: Dirt Late Model>>itty bitty Update 7/22/21
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2021, 10:18:02 PM »

Itty bitty update. Hardly worth it, but since the board is slow it'll give you something to look at. Added battery box cover and oil cooler screen to deck of the late model. Getting precariously close to painting the deck. I've also been practicing my 'rust' techniques for the graphics. I have a smaller needle and tip ordered for my airbrush now. I think that will get me dialed in.  By the way, using a RonCoon.com CT1 cage topper for the roll cage. Cut a little out and added a little here and there.

Tb
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 03:11:36 PM by Tom Birky »

Brian Conn

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2021, 02:43:31 PM »
....Got a couple of questions....
    Where did you get the battery box cover and oil cooler screen?  Also, which size of smaller needle and tip are you going to be using for the rust.....any difference in p.s.i as to usual

Been using the primer surfacer on the latest Torino late model build and I really like it a lot, so thanks for introducing me to it  ;D

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2021, 03:07:59 PM »
Brian, the battery cover is thin aluminum. It comes in a roll at HobbyLobby. I made the groove with a tooth pick and a push pin for the rivets. The mesh is fine wire cloth from McMaster Carr. My practice paint spots were with a medium tip in my Badger 200. I have a new fine tip and nozzle that allows for even smaller spots. I'll try to post a pic. Running about 25 psi using red oxide primer decanted into my airbrush.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Wood-Crafting/Hardware-Tools/Aluminum-Roll/p/21909

Tb
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 03:43:53 PM by Tom Birky »