Author Topic: '32 Ford Altered ...My first dragster build  (Read 7312 times)

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
'32 Ford Altered ...My first dragster build
« on: May 26, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »
  This one of two non dirt track builds since getting back into the hobby 11 years ago......

I got most of a 1:25 '32 Ford 5 window from large scale model builder Bob Hayes right at a year ago....told me to see if I could do anything with it...it sat in a sandwich baggie for a few months.

First order of business was to channel the body and move it back on the frame....gave it a soaking in the Purple pond to get rid of the Brown.

Swapped out the engine and tranny that came with the build....replaced the original set up with an injected big block Ford mill. Resin cast timing chain cover/water pump, solder headers. Removed the water pump from the resin cast piece and scratch built a cam driven fuel pump for the injectors. Primary fuel line from the fuel pump and the Red lines are from a computer mouse cable,fuel lines from the injector block to the injectors is Ultra wire, Medium,Black ...used for making fly fishing lures.

The rear axle (Black), tires and wheels came from some die cast Top Fuel dragster...extended the width of the axle by using two bottom pieces of a click pen that where modified to make the rear axle fit up with the wheels.
Scratch built the ladder bars using Evergreen and glass seed beads for the heim joints.
Hand wound coil springs over scratch built shocks.
Wheelie bars from the MPC '71 Mustang kit.

My first attempt at this style of front end...used large scale modeler Bob Hayes Fotki site for reference pictures as he has scratch built quite a few dragsters of this genre in 1/8th scale.
 Scratch built radius rods and front steering linkages using Evergreen products. The radius rod ends that connect to the frame are glass beads. Also pictured is the scratch built over flow surge tank.

Seat from LHS salvage yard with a slot cut in it for the belts to pass thru. Scratch built the lap belts and shoulder harnesses using Evergreen strip and channel, 1/8th" Black Ribbon and jewelry "O" rings flattened to more of an oval shape for the adjusting cinches. Scratch built the chute release lever and cable mechanism

After market drag shute and magneto from Teds Modeling Marketplace.  Scratch built fuel tank, resin cast big block Ford Moroso valve covers.

My wife Amy is a huge fan of the Willy Wonka movie .... so I decided to pay homage to that fact with the build theme.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 09:19:17 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

sentsat71

Re: '32 Ford Altered ...My first dragster build
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:51:25 AM »
Coooooollllllllll!!!

Me, I've built three from kits back in the '70's, but only one of those survived.....
Now have at least 3 kits back in my kit collection since the buying spree started back in 2006........

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:58:08 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
Tuff Enuff!!!!!

Rett

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:10:38 PM »
That looks Kool Brian!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"