Author Topic: (FINAL UPDATED 9/23/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6918  (Read 8987 times)

Lefturns75

Re: (UPDATED 9/8/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #69K
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »
Heck Bob, I'm enjoying watching this build.  Super fine work on this project.  Good luck on the belts, I have destroyed two sets of PE belts just lately, that age thing plays a factor for sure but I'll get it.  This is going to be one of those models you can look at all day when you finish, really fine craftsmanship here.  Keep the up-dates coming.   

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 02:54:26 PM »
This is really looking good Bob! I'm anxious to see the Sprinter all decaled and sitt'in on all four feet....How do you like working with the P.E racing harness..the belts in particular? I tried them and don't care for the metal belts but really like the buckles for sure. They sure look good though....
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Bob P.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 04:15:27 PM »
Thanks again guys for the comments,

Gary,

I'm using those because they were the only ones I found, in blue, when I did a search. I'm not crazy about the metal belts but I think they will work OK or this build. Do you have a recommendation for a better belt supplier? I usually scratch build my belts on my sixties replica's.

Gary, you also made a comment about seeing this sitting on all four feet. I am concerned about just that. Hopefully I got the suspensions pins in the correct location so it will sit on all four wheels. I have the lower side panels installed and the suspension installation is next, so I'll know soon.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:29:16 PM by Bob P. »

Gary Davis

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
Thanks again guys for the comments,

Gary,

I'm using those because they were the only ones I found, in blue, when I did a search. I'm not crazy about the metal belts but I think they will work OK or this build. Do you have a recommendation for a better belt supplier? I usually scratch build my belts on my sixties replica's.

Bob
Hey Bob....I always make my own belts. I use a variety of materials for the belts. Some 24-25...20...maybe 16th belts I use 3M NEXCARE durable cloth tape. Equate makes the same tape but a little cheaper. It has a pretty cool pattern the looks like belt material. I found both in the Pharmacy section at Wal Mart. For the smaller stuff...32..43...I use the paper that Pro Tech has for his belt material. You can use masking tape also...

As far as the hardware goes, there are a few companies out there....1/32..RB Productions( US WWII Fighters.. beige).... 1/25-24...Modelcar Garage...Pro Tech....Replica & Miniatures of Maryland.... 1/24-20...Studio 27  Also Scale Motor Sports... 1/16..Future Attraction has a GREAT set of Belt Hardware along with RMof M. Scale Motor sports used to carry the 12th and 8th scale belt hardware...at least that's where i got them long time ago. I hope this helps you out Bob. 

OH yes....If you want simpson logos for your belts....Gary at GWS Custom Decals has them in ALL those scales I mentioned. He's a member here so you can email/PM him if you want them. I got a sheet that has enough to do 10 sets in each scale.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:51:41 PM by Gary Davis »
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Bob P.

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »
Thanks David for the idea of opening up the hole in the wheels for slight alignment issues.
I have done that on some of my older replica builds. Sometimes I'll drill the front wheel holes off center to create an eccentric effect for minor adjustments.

Thanks Gary, for all the seat belt information. I copied and saved that information for future needs.

Bob

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/12/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #69K
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
I made a little progress since the last update.

Front and rear supension installed and all four wheels are touching the ground.
All the axles and suspension parts are from a Revell / Monagram kit.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Seat installed and tail tank decals applied, Still need several more win decals installed and hopefully a few more before the end of the racing season

Hosted on Fotki

Seat belts installed.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Thanks for following on this build, I'm having fun with this one.

Bob

Gary Davis

Re: (UPDATED 9/12/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6912
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 06:59:19 PM »
Man Bob...that's really looking Good! Those belts look right at home in there. Did they give you a hard time at all?

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/12/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6912
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
Gary,

The belts actually went better than I thought they would. I worked under my lighted magnifying glass.
I'm not crazy about the metal belts but they were the color I needed.

Bob

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/14/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6912
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
Small update.

I think I might need to paint the headers flat black or semi-gloss black.
I don't have the skill or supplies to make them look like the real car.
They look like stainless steel that has turned blue and black from usage.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Any opinions welcome.

Bob

Bob P.

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »
Thanks David for the suggestion.

Would you use flat or gloss black paint?

Bob

Bob P.

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »
Small update,

Thanks again David for the help on the headers. I have the paint I need to give your method a try.
I'm also going to experiment with chrome and wash with black and dark blue. I never tried this before so could be a failure.

Decals applied to the top and front wing center section.

Hosted on Fotki

Wing slider cylinder and lines installed.

Hosted on Fotki

Thanks for following along. Hopefully this build will be finished sometime next week.

Bob

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/18/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6918
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
I chromed a set of headers with a Molotow chrome pen.
My experience with this is, it looks fantastic, but if touched much it rubs off easily and dulls if handled.
On my model of the number 46 with the Pontiac hood ornament, I coated it with future. Future does dull it some.
Someone told me a better coating is Liquitex gloss varnish. Maybe try both on a plastic sample and see which works best.
I guess I should coat the chrome prior to applying a black wash???

Bob

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/18/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6918
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »
Final update, Finished build will be posted very soon.

My last challenge on this build was to try to duplicate the look on the headers.
Thank you to David Bogard and Greg Hollond for your help and suggestions on how to duplicate the headers.

I chromed these headers with the Molotow chrome pen a week ago.
Yesterday I broke out my airbrush, that I swore I would never try to use again. I was never able to get any good results with an airbrush.I knew if I brushed Future on the headers it would dull them. So I loaded the air brush with some Future and sprayed it on the headers. To my surprise they looked very chrome with very little dulling effect.

Then for another process I never tried before, I applied a wash to the headers. I used acrylic paint, thinking if I don't like the results I could just wash it off. I mixed some black paint with water to make it very thin and applied it with a Q tip and it looked pretty good. Then I took some dark tan paint and added a little black to darken the paint. Then applied that with the Q tip. I left this dry for around six hours and applied two coats of Future with a paint brush.
I guess I got lucky, I'm pleased with the results.

Hosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking and thanks to everyone who offered advice on this build.

Bob

Bob P.

Re: (FINAL UPDATED 9/23/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6918
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »
Check out the finished build in the Open Wheel cars-Modifieds / Sprints.

Bob