Author Topic: 1965 Chevelle  (Read 26605 times)

MarkJ

1965 Chevelle
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
Here are the kits.

I'll use the first kit for the car and the second kit for the engine. I finished up the decals today and got them printed on sheets.

MarkJ

Re: 1965 Chevelle
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:08:30 PM »

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:58:50 PM »
Looking good Mark. I like your wheel well opening technique.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

TarheelRick

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
The 65 Chevelle SS, not necessarily the ZL-1, is my holy grail of 1:1 cars.  Not only was it a sweet street machine it also transformed into many nasty Saturday Night fighters.  Looking forward to what you do with this one.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »
How did you scribe the wheel well lines? I always have trouble trying to do that...

Rett

MarkJ

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
How did you scribe the wheel well lines? I always have trouble trying to do that...

Rett

Thanks guys. Rett first I made a pattern from a piece of paper plate and went around it with a sharpie, then I scribed it with the back side of a #11 exacto knife, and then followed that with my scribing tool. I used a saw to cut up to the scribed line and then a needle nose plyers to bend the plastic at the scribed line until it separated and then you just twist and remove. I made the openings a little too big so I will have to go back and fix them

Dirtman

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:50:44 AM »

Rett

Thanks guys. Rett first I made a pattern from a piece of paper plate and went around it with a sharpie, then I scribed it with the back side of a #11 exacto knife, and then followed that with my scribing tool. I used a saw to cut up to the scribed line and then a needle nose plyers to bend the plastic at the scribed line until it separated and then you just twist and remove. I made the openings a little too big so I will have to go back and fix them

Sorta thought that was what you would say. I just have trouble scribbing like that. Lately I've just marked it out, then using a large dremel drum, sand it out. Guess we've all go our ways. Anyway, Chevelle looks good to me! Waiting patiently for the end product...
Rett

TarheelRick

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 07:03:27 AM »
Is this one going to be a replica or a fantasy.  If replica I could suggest the great Jack Ingram -  :)
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

MarkJ

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
Is this one going to be a replica or a fantasy.  If replica I could suggest the great Jack Ingram -  :)

Replica, or as close as I can get it to one.

MarkJ

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
Got some more work done on the wheel openings.

Lefturns75

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »
That is just about the last operation I do during a build.  Interesting how we all do things different.   I will watch and see how you do this one as I have a couple of these kits stacked around.  It will give me a good idea if I want to retain the kit chassis or match it to something else but you have seen the nutsy ways I do things.   I still want to do one of these over a Tri-Five Chassis.

MarkJ

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
That is just about the last operation I do during a build.  Interesting how we all do things different.   I will watch and see how you do this one as I have a couple of these kits stacked around.  It will give me a good idea if I want to retain the kit chassis or match it to something else but you have seen the nutsy ways I do things.   I still want to do one of these over a Tri-Five Chassis.

George, I'm just trying to do this the easiest way possible. I could never make one of those fabulous scratch built chassis you do. It would never fit to the body If I did one.

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »
MarkJ, what do you use to fill in the area of the wheel openings on the body? 

MarkJ

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 01:02:42 PM »
MarkJ, what do you use to fill in the area of the wheel openings on the body?

Ricky, if I had not messed up, I would not have  had to use anything to fill the mistakes. But what you see in the pictures above is pieces of sheet styrene and Tamiya white putty.

MarkJ

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »
Still trying to get the body right. Will have to remove the front inner fenders and add the lower valence panel for the grille ahead of time. Also the rear valance panel and the taillight panel which appears to be black in the photos.

MOVE ON TO PAGE 2  >>>>
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:48:59 PM by MarkJ »