Author Topic: chrome plating  (Read 2689 times)

peski

chrome plating
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:30:46 AM »
I am returning to model building after a 20 year absense.  I see that chrome tech usa is out of business.  Is there another source for chrome plating?  I am looking to have some racing wheel plated. 

Olderndirt

Re: chrome plating
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 09:26:05 AM »
 I would do them myself with Alcad, or metalizer paint, hech I bought a rattle can at the auto parts store that did a great job. The paint looks real rather than the way too bright chrome you usually see in kits.

Olderndirt

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »
See David Bogard’s post, Cheap Chrome, in Tips and Tricks.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:40:35 PM »
Hey peski, welcome to the Forum. Do you have a shot of the wheels you are looking to chrome? It is true that modern painting techniques have mostly done away with the old plastic plating business. Do you use an air brush? I have indeed had very good results with Alclad II (ALC 107) for chrome. There are also guys here that recently have had good success using Molotow through an air brush. And of course (as in my recent post in Tips) a quick and cheap deal is Rustoleum (of all things!).

Just as example of Alclad II, both the hauler and race car wheels were shot with it. Maybe that's chrome enough for what you are doing or maybe not? Let me know if I can help. There are better model builders and smarter guys than me on here so I am sure you'll end up with the "chrome" look you want!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
....The only kits that it would be worth the expense of Chrome plating certain parts and pieces would be the higher end Pocher models.....with your average ,off the store shelf kit you would have more money tied up in plating than what the kit, built or un built, would ever be worth.
  As I recall , there was a rather braggadocious builder on another forum that spent some good dollar on getting some parts and pieces plated on an average, mundane off the store shelf kit a while back....I wasn't impressed with what I saw ...now days a rattle can and some effort can give you what your after.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington