Author Topic: Build Idea  (Read 7641 times)

David Bogard

Build Idea
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:23:16 PM »
I was kicking around some ideas that might help get some fellas to their bench and yet have a little fun at the same time. Here's a "what if?"

What if I asked you to name your 4 or 5 favorite drivers that are reasonably well known. Mike Eddy, Joe Shear, Bob Senneker, Larry Phillips, Ed Howe, Freddy Fryer, Sam Ard, Dick Trickle. . . . names kind of like that. After that, let's maybe take the name seemingly most recognizable based on our responses and then we all pick one of their cars that they drove during their racing career to build? I might build one of Dick Trickle's (just to use a name) very earliest cars while someone else might choose one of his later ASA creations, while someone else decides to do one of his from an era he liked, and so on.

It would not have to be a drop-dead replica but it can be our collective best shots to build a handful of some famous race car driver's cars. Hopefully Greg Holland will read this and after he coughs, he just might be up for the decal challenges too (or he may already have a few!)

Any other better ideas are welcomed. I just want to try to get some of us out of the shadows and back in the game!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:18:50 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Lefturns75

Re: Build Idea
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 10:31:51 PM »
I'd be game.  Here are a few and to start I have to list Larry Phillips along with Butch Hartman, Roger McCluskey, Ollie Silva, Carl Bergman (Bugsy Stevens) Dave Marcus and Ernie Derr.   

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 10:45:04 PM »
Sure....
  If I can come up with a Granada, Dick Trickle, Kenny Schrader ....any of the well known that might have driven a Ford, again Trickle and the Mustang, Kenny Schrader and the Mustangs....Larry Phillips and the winged Mustang dirt late model from 1981.....I'm sure I could come up with a couple more.     
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

john2

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:00:13 AM »
 :)  I think it is a great idea, David.  But I can't make this one. I am sure  it would be great fun for those who can.

Of course I'd vote for Freddy Fryar.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

bandit2026

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 06:14:14 AM »
Sounds like fun to me. How about some of the souths modified hot shoes, Paul Radford, Ray Hendrick, Perk Brown.

TarheelRick

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:19:54 AM »
Sounds like fun to me. How about some of the souths modified hot shoes, Paul Radford, Ray Hendrick, Perk Brown.
Also Leonard Wood of Wood's Brothers fame.  Maybe some of the Late Model drivers: Jack Ingram, Ned Setzer, 'Handsome' Harry Gant, Red Farmer, Bobby Isaac, and the Allison boys to name just a few.   
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Dirtman

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
It's a great idea even tho I'm not too much into replicas. However, I'll have to pass for now. I'm going to be off the hobby for a bit. We just sold our home and property and are moving into a mobile home community this next couple of weeks. It will be a while before I can get any hobby stuff going. I'll still be checking in on the computor.

Rett

jchrisf

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 09:59:50 AM »
Billy Moyer

Lefturns75

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
I gotta sympathize with David here.  We have a lot of posters but not many builders.  I have read lots of posts and threads about an enlarged liver to a sore toe but this is a SHORT TRACK MODEL FORUM is it not?  This suggested build covers a lot of ground, from the well known driver all the way down to the local guy nobody ever heard of so there is plenty of subject material to choose from.  Build something guys, even if it is ugly, we dont care just do it.  Detailed, out of the box, Curb side, gloo bomb it dont matter.  Put down the Iphone, get off Facebook and join us. 

Michael F

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »
  Put down the Iphone, get off Facebook and join us.

Very well said !!!
Greetings from Germany!

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 09:19:03 PM »
The REAL question here is what WILL YOU build? .........Maybe the REAL question is what would it take for you to build something? .........
For what its worth......
  This is starting to look like the very early stages of a potential CBP which is good!  It looks like there was some discussion of a potential CBP last November  http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=551.0  so it would appear that there is some interest in some sort of CBP. 
  Your original idea is a very good one indeed, and I applaud you for bringing it to light.  Both you and Lefturns75 are correct in saying plenty of posters and not quite enough builders....I am guilty as charged to a point....lost my urge to build back in April because I let the actions of others elsewhere get in side my head....been slowly getting the urge back with helping another builder with an 1/8th scale scratch build and resin casting some HO scale train car parts.
  I have a couple of builds that are partly finished that started out as builds dedicated to 2 different CBP's elsewhere...now the 2 builds have been shuffled to the back burner.  Had the individuals stuck with their commitment to head up the CBP's, the CBP's would not have died on the vine, leaving the builders high and dry...I guess they were to proud to ask for help.
  This stick to itness also applies to the members who jump aboard in the early beginnings but fall by the wayside along the way...sometimes I understand ,BUT there has been a few times I could not wrap my head around what they where doing.
  Getting back to your original idea..........
   This forum has been around a year now, so its time for a CBP....instead of what you proposed, which I would love to do sometime, perhaps a CBP along the lines of finish what you started would be easier for a first CBP.  A replica build is challenging to say the least... locating the right body and decals, paint color, trying to find reference pictures etc etc..  I think that most if not everyone who is a regular here has a partial build(s) that they would like to see finished up  http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=846.0 ....or even a completed build that needs a re work.  With it being a build that has already been started or one that begs to be re worked, there would be a level of comfort for the builder since they already are familiar with the build verses wanting to participate in a CBP , but not quite sure they can build what they aspire.   Being a short track forum, perhaps you would see the cars and maybe some of the drivers that have already been mentioned in this thread.
  So to honestly answer your question, what WILL YOU build? At this time I would really rather not start on a new ground up build, even an OOB.  I do ,however, have 3 dirt Late Models, 5 dirt Sportsman, 1 dirt Modified Street Stock and a Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino that I would be tickled to death to have done.

... the REAL question is what would it take for you to build something?    Right now, not much...getting my building mojo back one day at a time....must admit that your original post did ignite a spark.  Something easy to ease back into the building mode would be nice.....for me personally just picking up where I left off earlier this year would do it.             

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:01:00 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

john2

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 05:08:16 AM »
 :)  David is right with his red letter post.    That is the way it usually goes.  However, I do remember a certain glue bomb cbp on Fred's that went rather well, even if  I do toot my own horn.

I believe we had 9 months to do it, and  20 +  showed up.  We allowed extra time for finding glue bombs to work with.  And you David, came up with a bunch of them for the guys to use.

I  have no idea, now, how to even find all those pictures to look at.  Sad.  But it sure was fun.

Human nature, I guess.  I remember in my RC model airplane days, we  (actually they ) decided to all build quarter midget race planes for competition.  The 2, or 3 hotshots, ( with the idea ) built, finished, flew, and crashed theirs quickly, and the rest of the guys were left holding the  bag.  Oh well.  Such is life.

But, as already stated, I can't make it. I wish you all well with it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:11:39 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

bandit2026

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 06:12:37 AM »
I'm building! Just finished a 40 ford on a 57 chevy frame that was inspired by Slims 35 humpback. Right now I'm working on a 70 chevy late model. My skills are no where near most of you guys but I do like to build them. I'll have to ckeck my stash for a suitable victim.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
I believe that I'm up to the challenge and I'll throw my hat in the ring for an Ernie Derr IMCA late model Charger from the '68, '69 era. 
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
David......

You really got me to thinking. But as for an answer as to why I cannot sit at the work table? I really cannot answer that.  Started out strong back in 2006, but for some reason, lost the urge to continue....why, I don't know.....maybe for one, I do not have an area to spray paint with rattle cans (tried a simple airbrush back in the early '80's, but do not like the clean up afterwards) When i was big into building back in the '70's I set up an old briefcase on the floor of my 1st studio apartment and had at it......but, by '79 I was more or less burned out, and that strong desire just really hasn't come back all the way.
Being in a rental house, has not improved anything, as the house does not have a garage to work in.....no spray booth, if I could find away to somehow vent things outside....even then, not sure of spray painting in the basement, when the furnace/ac runs almost year round. House owner is very particular on things in her house. Not even allowed any pets (not that I'm complaining about that)
Even brush painting as issues for me. 1. No LHS close to me. 2. No real form of transportation to head for a Hobby Lobby, as the nearest one is not in a direction I can regularly take at around 40 miles or so away.
Not sure how to approach craft acrylics as to how, to thin them down and thin them down to apply to kit parts. Apple Barrel is I believe is main one Wal-Mart carries. But there again, don't always have ways to get to the nearest W/M.....have not checked out what the paints are like that I bought, primarily back in 2006. Both enamel (Testor small bottles) or acrylics (mostly Tamiya)....

Actually one of the 1st builds I got started on in 2006, went so far, then lost interest. Another board member currently has most of that build, as he has worked on getting the much cut up body to look nice, but, as I've told him, there is no hurry in getting it done to where he can send it back to me, as I know, I won't jump in and finish it, right away once it comes back to me......

So......maybe it's time to quit collecting kits and start selling them off and give it all up......

But, can I sell off kits I've spent time tracking down over the years.....not just yet..(Key word: yet), but maybe that day is much closer than i realize......
And yes, cost of kits these days, is not helping my cause. I'm to the point I cannot justify the expense of a new kit, just to I can raid the body or whatever for basically what was known as, Kitbashing.......

and last but not least, my other hobby, that allows me to watch TV (as in DVD's) comfortably in a recliner............and there are times when I don't do much with that one either......with that hobby, there have been so many things that I've started but have NEVER completed there either....

So......there's my "answer"......so to speak......

So, David, there is my story, excuse, thoughts and feelings as to why I cannot seem to move about 3' from my computer chair to the chair at the work table.....the building bug just had not sunk its teeth into me enough to start projects or finish ones I've started, including one from 1979!!!! Think that was posted at FRW over 10 years ago (one of the VERY few WIP or unbuilt kits to survive all the purges that started in late 1980.........one one big purge in 2005, just prior to leaving FL for NM......

Thanks, David for your "wake up call"......I really do appreciate it.....!   

Ed
Ed K.