Author Topic: 35+ year SLUMP BUSTER!!  (Read 4214 times)

dirtmodwrench

35+ year SLUMP BUSTER!!
« on: October 29, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »
It's not a short-tracker, but it's got some good old speed parts on it :)  It's one of the Revell '29 Roadster kits that I picked up at a hobby shop at the end of summer while I was on vacation.  Took me a bit of time to get back in the building groove, but it feels good to get one over the finish line after so many years. I Z'd the rear frame, shaved a leaf or two off the front axle to get the ride height where I wanted it.  Rest is box stock. I bought an airbrush and tried that for the first time too.  Trying to figure out Flickr too, starting with one photo.

29 Ford Roadster Oct 29 18 by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Dirtman

Re: 35+ year SLUMP BUSTER!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
Excellent start!

Rett

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:18:05 PM »
Thanks gents. Added a few more pics.

29 Ford LR by Mark Shea, on Flickr

29 Ford Nailhead by Mark Shea, on Flickr

29 Ford Front by Mark Shea, on Flickr

29 Ford Interior by Mark Shea, on Flickr

TarheelRick

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28:08 AM »
Beautiful old hot rod; simple, understated, and not showy just means business.  I need a slump buster like that
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 04:52:54 AM »
 :)  It's great. I am glad it got you going again. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
VERY Nice!!!
Ed K.

Bob P.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
Nice build, well done.

Bob

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and positive comments!  Hope it helps motivate someone else to try and put something together.

David - Since I'm basically starting from scratch regarding supplies and techniques, I played around with a bunch of different paints on this one.  The main body color was from a rattle can.  The brand is Liquitex (never heard of it before), the color is Burnt Sienna 5.  It was on the clearance shelf at Michael's, and the color just looked cool to me.  It's got a crappy nozzle and worked great once, not so great after that (maybe that's why it was on clearance?).  May try to decant some and try it through the airbrush.  I also tried some rattle can Rustoleum Metallic Primer & Paint (Home Depot) and had a good result with that.  Tried the Flat Soft Iron on the headers, then hit them with mist of Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal through the airbrush (first time using one, been practicing a bit over the summer).  Used some other Tamiya metals for the engine and running gear.  Also shot some Vallejo Model Air, which I'm really liking.  Great coverage and lays down real nice.

So now my challenge is to figure out what to build next.  I feel like I've developed A.D.D., since looking at all of the builds on this site has my mind running in about six different directions!  Your Kneisel modified and Bob P.'s Kreitz sprint car have really got me thinking that I'll have to go that way initially. They are both awesome and are exactly what I was envisioning as builds of the cars I worked on many moons ago.  I ran to my local hobby shop tonight and bought a boatload of Evergreen.....just need to map out a plan and get started.  I know I'm going to have questions, so hope you all are up for me being a PITA for awhile ::)

john2

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 05:38:03 AM »
  :)  The Liquitex brands  I am familiar with are artists' paints.

I bought $ 75 worth of Evergreen yesterday, myself.   Going to do one last shop diorama, which is what I say every time.  I had torn up mine for the move, with the intention of building another with those pieces.   Duh ..................    of course the pieces would be destroyed breaking it all apart.

Wishing you the best of fun with your new projects.

Was also in Michaels yesterday, and they now have even less kits.   I guess they are getting out of the model business, but the prices have not been lowered.    Hardly worth a trip there anymore. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:22:30 PM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 07:35:31 AM »
I figured that Liquitex was some high-end artists' paint at $13 a can (marked down to $4)!  I went to my local Michael's last week with a 50% off coupon.  They had moved the model section further towards the back of the store, was a third the size of the previous space, and had a total of six cars and couple of plane kits on the shelves.  Luckily one of the car kits was a '32 5w Coupe, so I grabbed it.  I asked one of the workers if they were not going to carry kits any longer.  She dialed up the manager, who said they were having a supplier problem and as soon as that was resolved they would have a fully stocked section again.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Good luck building the diorama.  That's one thing I definitively don't have an aptitude for.