Author Topic: 1971 Dodge Charger Deconstuct/Reconstuct wip  (Read 15398 times)

MarkJ

1971 Dodge Charger Deconstuct/Reconstuct wip
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »
What the kit looked like, back when I purchased it, 45 years ago approximately. I no longer have the box it came in.

What the model looks like now, after spending who knows how long, in a paper bag with 2 other nascar models.

MarkJ

Re: 1971 Dodge Charger Deconstuct/Reconstuct wip
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
Been tearing it apart.

I noticed that the seat doesn't look quite right. The higher bolster should be on the right side of the seat. Just my opinion.

You can see that the decals back then left a lot to be desired. I don't think they got this bad from age. I just don't think they were as good back then.

The body is completely stripped and the parts are all in a zip lock bag.

john2

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »
 :)  Mark, if you don't know, plain ol' scotch tape will lift off most of those decals. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Lefturns75

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
Hey Super, I think I would leave all those MPC parts in the bag and use the body on a Revell Charger chassis.  I know you can scratch build all the other stuff you will need and there are tons of reference pics on the net.  Now that's just me but I am interested in what you will do with this.  The original is about as accurate as a news report from CNN but back in their day they were the bomb as that is all we had.  Good luck, I'm gonna watch!

MarkJ

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »
:)  Mark, if you don't know, plain ol' scotch tape will lift off most of those decals.

John, I tried that and had to end up using my sanding stick.

MarkJ

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
Hey Super, I think I would leave all those MPC parts in the bag and use the body on a Revell Charger chassis.  I know you can scratch build all the other stuff you will need and there are tons of reference pics on the net.  Now that's just me but I am interested in what you will do with this.  The original is about as accurate as a news report from CNN but back in their day they were the bomb as that is all we had.  Good luck, I'm gonna watch!

George, I already have the amt 71 charger kit. But I don't think this body will fit that chassis. And as far as reference pictures go, I haven't found any under hood shots, chassis shots, or interior shots of any 1971 nascar chargers. Think Ill just rebuild this one the best I can.

Lefturns75

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »
Try looking for Ray Nichels Engineering and photos.  I think most of the Chrysler stuff came from there in one form or another anyway.  I would think if you can find some of the photos of underhood shots of Chargers from 68 thru 73 you would be in the ball park.  I am sure it irritates the MOPAR guys but a Dodge is a Dodge is a Dodge.  Other than the sheet metal, they all looked alike to me.  Even though I cant tell you where to look, those pics are out there, you just have to search a little.  Try pulling up some of Petty's stuff, its not that different and even some of his was Nichels stuff. 

MarkJ

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »
Try looking for Ray Nichels Engineering and photos.  I think most of the Chrysler stuff came from there in one form or another anyway.  I would think if you can find some of the photos of underhood shots of Chargers from 68 thru 73 you would be in the ball park.  I am sure it irritates the MOPAR guys but a Dodge is a Dodge is a Dodge.  Other than the sheet metal, they all looked alike to me.  Even though I cant tell you where to look, those pics are out there, you just have to search a little.  Try pulling up some of Petty's stuff, its not that different and even some of his was Nichels stuff.

Believe me , George. I have been looking. Luckily I found a you tube video of the car, I'm going to do, and was able to decipher what contengencies it had on the front fenders. The stuff under neath wont matter that much, cause its just a shelfer.  How many times have you heard that cop out statement?  Just call it a shelfer and you don't have to work that hard on it.

Lefturns75

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
If it "Looks" right who cares what is under it?  90% dont know what it is supposed to look like, 6% "Think" they know and about 4% really do.  What are your chances one of the 4% is gonna pick it up and look at it?   Have fun with it, thats what your are supposed to do. 

MarkJ

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
The tires have raised letters so I am shaving them off to put decals on the tires

Been sanding on the body to get it ready for primer. I have a few spots I need to putty.

MarkJ

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
If it "Looks" right who cares what is under it?  90% dont know what it is supposed to look like, 6% "Think" they know and about 4% really do.  What are your chances one of the 4% is gonna pick it up and look at it?   Have fun with it, thats what your are supposed to do.

You are correct, sir.

MarkJ

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »
Good one , Dave. If I tried to do that the shelf would be crushed to the floor and I would be in the hospital.

sentsat71

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »
Ah...David......wish I could afford those type of shelving units.....lol
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 11:04:01 AM »

Yeah, but how do you keep the dust off the models?

Looking forward to your rebuild.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

MarkJ

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »

Yeah, but how do you keep the dust off the models?

Looking forward to your rebuild.

Rick, I use those cases they sell at hobby lobby. They are $7.99 but with a 40 % off coupon , well do the math. But its pretty reasonable and they look good, plus they are stackable.