Author Topic: Posting some pics of my brother Jim's recent builds.  (Read 3528 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Posting some pics of my brother Jim's recent builds.
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:43:01 PM »
Some are restorations of decades old builds and some are recently finished. Anyway, I thought they were cool, hope you like them too. Note the stock wheelbase on the Nova gasser and the Chevelle is not a 69, but a nicely restored orginal AMT '68!

Dirtman

Re: Posting some pics of my brother Jim's recent builds.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »
Certainly some nice stuff there!!!

Rett

john2

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 07:49:49 AM »
 :)  All nice.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »
Very nice looking builds!!!!

Like 'em all, but really like the '32 Ford Vicky fire chiefs(?) car..

Looked at buying one of those back in the day....but never did.....(heavy sigh)
Have seen some pop on various sites, but out of my price range.....
Ed K.

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
Those are all very nice builds he can be proud of.

Bob

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »
If my memory is right, that fire chief car goes back to the early to mid 70s. I think that's the red plastic it was molded in, just polished. Tb

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 06:05:14 AM »
Tom,
That would be about right, as I would see it at one of my then favorite LHS.....
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »
 :)  Ed,  you can remember something you saw on a hobby shop shelf, 40 years ago ??  You are a better man than I am.  I can't recall what I ate yesterday.  ha
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
John2,

Yeah, I can remember various kits on the shelves, but could not tell you the exact year....LOL
All of these hobby shops were in the Los Angeles/Orange county areas, as I lived not far from the LA/Orange county borders...
I remember because I did not buy some of the kits, as they would take too much "work" to make them into the race cars i was into at that time.
In particular, one of the hobby shops when I first discovered it, not only did it have a huge selection of kits, it also had a huge slot car track. Though that was gone a year or so later, making more room for kits and other hobby related items. There were other smaller hobby shops I would track down, some by finding them in the yellow pages.
One of those odd trips netted me 2 GK sprint kits, when they were getting hard to find, even back then......remember I had to talk myself into buying both of them.....LOL
Though, by 1979/1980 I was getting burned out.....a lot of kits that I bought around that time were never built and tossed (No internet to sell them on.) Even some that were started, were disposed of in the dumpster.
Then a move at the beginning of 1981 more or less sealed the fate of other partial builds. No longer had the room to build......Tried a comeback in 1986/87, but that only netted me to finished builds, those being the 1st to Monogram sprints. Other kits were bought and started, but only 2 of those unfinished builds have survived....
Ed K.