Author Topic: Painting wheels  (Read 1845 times)

Bob P.

Painting wheels
« on: December 19, 2018, 05:08:17 PM »
Here's how I paint wheels of the type shown here.

I found that weather you spray paint, or use a brush, the paint don't want to cover properly in the cracks and crevices.

Resin wheels from Big Donkey.

1. I clean with alcohol using an old tooth brush.
2. I apply a coat of Future on the wheels prior to painting. This seems to help the issue.
3. Painted these with a couple coats of Krylon white primer.
4. Then Painted with Krylon white satin.
5. Painted the red outer edges using enamel paint using a toothpick. Then painted center red with a small brush.
6. Painted lug nuts and axle bolts with silver using a toothpick.

After white primer.

Hosted on Fotki

After white satin paint.

Hosted on Fotki

After red and silver paint.

Hosted on Fotki

It would be interesting to share how you guys paint these wheels. You probable have some better methods than I have.

Bob

David Bogard

Re: Painting wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 06:22:11 PM »
Very similar Bob. I dod not do the Future step though and just noramlly prime and shoot. I do the hub centers very much like you although sometimes on the deeper ones (where it's hard to see and to get your brush down in there acurately), I will pull off some paint and thin it a lot. I will then get some ona small brush and just drop it in the center letting it flow around the inside "tracing" the outline as it goes. It's more paint than a "wash" but not much. After that dries I will then brush paint the balance of the center hub. I will get out an old wheel and try to show that. Generally though I do it pretty much the way you have described.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/