Author Topic: Schwinn Sting Ray  (Read 3123 times)

David Bogard

Schwinn Sting Ray
« on: September 10, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
Very fiddly kit to build but if you can work your way through all of it's faults, it turns out pretty neat. Bring back any memories for any of you? Sure did me!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:16:12 AM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Lefturns75

Re: Schwinn Sting Ray
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
Oh yes, those were the days!  I still have some pains in my body from when I let that type of bike get out from under me.  Nothing like riding one home while trying to hang on to that new car kit and paint.   I have heard from others that this kit is a little touchy to build but it don't look like it gave you any problems.  Nice work on this David and boy does that stir up a lot of memories------I can hear the Ventures playing in the background and the bike parked in front of a Redline 7000 movie poster.

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:03:06 PM »
Very cool David! I had a Schwinn, much earlier than this one, circa early 50's. Stepdad paid around $70 if my memories serves. Anyway, I stripped it down, removed tank with horn, luggage carrier, and fenders. Man, I don't think that man ever bought another thing for me ever! He was seriously P0'd. But, I had one racey looking new bike! LOL Ah, the memories!

RandB11

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »
Really cool build David! Yep, brings back memories! I busted my rear many times on one those type bikes trying to be Evil Knevil. Later on I really got stupid jumping things with a mini bike! I finally quit jumping things after flying right thru our garage door! Made one hell of a noise and mess! Broken glass,wood,metal,etc. And a broken mini bike still running spinning around on the concrete. My dad come running out on the deck on the back side of the house and yelled at me "Good Lord! Ricky are you O.K.?" I was just about to cry and said yes dad I'm o.k. He said stay right there!! Don't you move!! Oops! I knew I was in deep dodo! I thought he was gonna kill me! LOL!!
Rick ;)

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:49:23 AM »
Oh Man! Laughing real hard now! I can relate to a couple of those! Makes me think of my son wiping out our mail box trying to do a wheelie with his Rupp minibike. He wasn't hurt, and I was laughing, but then  I had to fix the mail box. PS, wife didn't think it was so funny!

Rett

Ah yes, the good old memories!

TarheelRick

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 06:21:06 AM »
Those were a "bit" after my bike riding days.  Looking back, and watching these short clips makes me wonder how our species has survived, especially considering the damage often suffered by our "maleness".  How did we father children?.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Olderndirt

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »
By the time Stingray bikes came out I had outgrown bikes that size, but that did’t mean I didn’t want the ape hanger handlebars, and the banana seat. So, I bought the seat, and handlebars separately, and put them on my 3 speed Schwin. The issue was that the hand brake cables were’nt long enough to get the brake levers more than about half way up the handlebars. And they think they need safety equipment today, oh boy, I can’t begin to tell you how many time I needed to be a lot faster on the breaks, and wasn’t.

Olderndirt

Marty W

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
Yes, David, it does look like it was a very fiddly build, but you pulled it off very well. Sadly, it is the bike that I lusted after as a young lad, and rode a few times, but never owned.