Author Topic: WRC Rally Cars  (Read 4986 times)

Lefturns75

WRC Rally Cars
« on: February 08, 2020, 09:47:34 PM »
The FIA World Rally Championship is sure not short track racing but it is interesting if you take the time to look at some of it.  I offer up something a little different for you guys to look over here.  Unless you have been asleep the last 20 years, I would think you have heard of some of the drivers, like the legendary Colin McRae, Richard Burns or the Panizzi brothers, Gilles and Herve.  Not to mention Marcus Gronholm and Sebastien Loeb.  If you have never heard of any of them, I guess you don't get out much.  These three WRC cars are built in Tarmac spec. and are all from 1999-2000.  The Subaru Impreza of Burns, the Ford Focus of McRae and a Peugeot of the Panizzi Brothers.  I have a few more in the works and will add em to the thread when I get them completed. 

sentsat71

Re: WRC Rally Cars
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 05:54:23 AM »
GREAT looking builds!!

Probably did not pay attention to the series.....back then, if it wasn't NASCAR or Indy car....probably didn't watch it with any regularity.....
Ed K.

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:45:08 AM »
Awesome stuff. I never had much interest in these cars but maybe should have. Nice collection you have.

Rett

Bob P.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 12:37:27 PM »
Beautiful builds you can be proud of.

Bob

RandB11

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »
Wow! Excellent detailing, beautiful builds!

Rick :)

TonyK

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 10:05:41 AM »
Love the WRC! Thank you for sharing your excellent models. Wish there was more coverage on television.

Lefturns75

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:02:59 PM »
I have another Ford Focus under way, this one is a 2001.  I may display this one on jack stands in the Service Park with crew but I have not made up my mind just yet.  Here is the box art of the kit and some shots of how the chassis is coming together.

If you dont feel like fooling around with photo-etch seat belts, the kit comes with some nice seat belt decals and carbon fiber decal for the seat backs.  The roll cage assembles very well and fits the interior like a glove. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
Coming up on the end of this build.  Once the decals are set I can give this thing a clear coat, mask for the blue on the rear and finish.  I still am not sure if I will display this one on stands W/mechanics or on its tarmac tires but at any rate, here are some pics and a mock-up.   Finished shots to follow shortly.

Lefturns75

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:00:19 AM »
When I lay down the decals, I use a number of products-----Micro Set, Micro Solv, Solvaset or Mark Fit.  I just make sure those decals are down very well and DRY, then I give em a couple light coats of clear.  I sand the area to be masked with 800-1000 and when I finish masking, another light coat of clear over the masked area.  This helps seal the edge of your tape and helps stop some of that paint bleed.  I also might mention to invest in good quality masking tape.  I suggest a high end 3-M or Tamiya masking tape.  Yes, you pay more but if you want good results, stay away from that dollar store look-a like tape, it will do nothing but make you upset.  Last, DO NOT RUSH and take your time and keep things clean and neat, keep a tac-cloth around and use it.    And if you are wondering, I have had good luck with Testors Clear but I usually use only Tamiya TS-13 or Mr. Hobby Clear.  Test these clears and setting solutions on cheap kit decals first, (AMT, MPC, Revell) sometimes they do not play well together.  Usually a Tamiya or aftermarket decal is made for this stuff so you are good to go. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 11:52:25 AM by Lefturns75 »

Lefturns75

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
I can only stress "Quality" tape.  A tape with a gorilla grip is gonna ruin your day, use some low tack tape.  Just about any masking tape you get from Tamiya or another hobby supply manufacture is gonna be ok.  I know it costs more but the extra bucks are well worth it.  Make sure you have enough clear coat and everything is cured well.  I have no idea how this would work with acrylic paint, I never use it or had any luck with it.  Use setting solutions that I mentioned.  It makes a difference on that decal sticking where it should and not lifting. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »
I would think the Future would be a good sealer but I dont see how it is a good decal solvent.  I would think you would still need Mark Fit or Solvaset to go over those odd ball surfaces.  If you would, post up a pic of the Future you use.  I have never used it and with the changes made to it I do not know what to look for.  If it works better than TS-13 clear I will use it as I am sure it will be much cheaper. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »
Steven, I have a number of those IMSA Mustangs myself, early and later versions I want to get to.  I have finished my last effort, a WRC Ford Focus from 2002 in which I managed to fumble finger my way through and only damage 4 of the decals.  This one was fun and I have more planned, old and new.