Author Topic: Too many hobbies  (Read 3357 times)

Marty W

Too many hobbies
« on: February 13, 2020, 09:34:41 PM »
Here is another hobby that eats up my time!

Marty W

Re: Too many hobbies
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 01:39:09 AM »
I do fly it. It is about 1/16 scale, with a 78" wingspan, and has a sound system with recorded Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasp engines sound. The top turret also rotates, and it has retractable landing gear.

And yes, it can be nerve wracking when I fly a new plane for the first time! You don't know what it's going to do for sure.

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 06:56:29 AM »
Excellent build.  I have never got into R/C but have often wanted to.  When I was stationed at Keesler AFB, MS there was a small R/C club there and I used to go out and watch them fly.  Also had a friend in Fort Worth, TX that used to build and fly them.  He built a C-130 with, just guessing, a 4.5-5 foot wingspan.  Never saw it off the ground, he was afraid to get it over taxi speed.  I heard that he did finally take it up and it did crash after a few flights.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 07:23:14 AM »
My old stock car partner build one very similar to this and then had to learn how to fly it! It was beautiful as is this one.

Rett

john2

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
Amazing, Marty.  I flew models from '75 to '88.  Great fun.

But as we used to say :  There are only 2 kinds of model airplanes  --  those that have crashed  --  and those that are about to. 

Quite a piece there, Marty.  Hope you can enjoy it for a long time.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 08:35:33 AM »
GREAT looking  B-24!!

Know exactly what you mean about too many hobbies.
Right now, it's working with Plastic Canvas......and.....taking naps.....and collecting kits.....still can't seem to move the 3' from where I'm sitting to the work table.... :-\ :(

Ed K.

TonyK

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 11:25:32 AM »
Man that is nice! Used to do control line flying when I was a kid but never RC. Got older and would drive to places where guys would fly RC and watch for hours. Admired what they had built and their flying skills.

Marty W

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 11:37:33 AM »
Amazing, Marty.  I flew models from '75 to '88.  Great fun.But as we used to say :  There are only 2 kinds of model airplanes  --  those that have crashed  --  and those that are about to.

You are right about that, John. If you fly R/C, you will eventually crash SOMETHING. Whether it be from pilot error, mechanical failure, loss of orientation, electronic glitches, etc., something will bite you at some time.

Thanks for all the comments!

john2

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »
Still fun,huh Marty ?
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Marty W

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
My uncle once told me when I was a young lad, that they bought me a control line plane for Christmas, test flew it, and crashed it to pieces. Thanks, Uncle Jerry.