Author Topic: Tuna Clipper  (Read 4010 times)

David Bogard

Tuna Clipper
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:31:41 AM »
I picked this up cheap a while back at Ollie's and recently decided to open it up and see what this thing is. Wow! A lot of fun so far! The project is nowhere near complete and is just sitting in mock-up form in the photos below. There are a ton of interesting little parts, a lot of detail painting, and just a fun build where I can choose my own colors and do various little things that I think would be on one of these Tuna Boats. If any of you are "burned out" so to speak, pick up a boat and start gluing. It's a whole different kind of build than anything I have ever done and I am enjoying it immensely!

This thing will get larger once all of the final railings, mast, rigging, and other things are added. For a size comparison, I placed the (repainted) cab of my '34 Ford Pick Up Street Rod in the foreground.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Dirtman

Re: Tuna Clipper
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 07:19:05 AM »
Pretty cool. Leave it to you to come up with something like this. I downsized to a small mobile, don't have room for all my race car models so this is a tad large for me to tackle....Looking forward to seeing this one done.

Rett

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »
WOW!!

Now that is definately NON short track...

Have fun.....!
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:31:16 AM »
Cool boat, are you gonna play with it in the bathtub?  I am in the process of collecting a few airplanes I worked on in the USAF, so I will be branching out a bit also.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Lefturns75

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 09:37:26 AM »
David I've never done the Tuna Clipper but I did build the Lindberg Southern Belle Stern Wheeler and had a good time doing it.  I still have one of those 36 inch long USS Missouri kits in the box.  Talk about having a Jillion Parts!!!!   I'll watch you do the Clipper and who knows?  I might have to try one unless this Jupiter II lost in space kit from 1998 talks me into opening the box.  Or that old Aurora Satellite kit under the desk, or that 1/28 scale WW1 aircraft or one of those Le Mans Prototype cars or...................................Oh well, you get it. 

Some day I will get the nerve to try this one--------

It has about a Jillion parts too and a short instruction on how to tie about 40eleven different kinds of knots for the rigging.   Mine is a Pyro brand and was later re-released by Lindberg and Lifelike.  It was a pretty detailed effort for a kit in 1960.  I would LOVE to see you jump on one of these bad boys!!!   And by the way, where is that Pontoon boat you were building?  I dont think I ever got to see that finished. 

TonyK

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
That boat looks like it could be a fun build. You're right about doing something different. Built the PT-109 a few years ago and an old sailing ship many many years ago and it is a nice break from engines and wheels and tires, etc. It's still building a model!

What's the brand of this kit?

Marty W

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 07:55:09 PM »
I think that turned out so well, that you should do a Deadliest Catch crab boat next! I wonder if they make a kit of the "Time Bandit"!?

RandB11

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 06:31:27 PM »
That turned out nice David! Really cool building something totally different. I need to do that.

Rick  :)

TarheelRick

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 08:04:27 AM »
Really cool build.  I have looked at that kit at Ollie's a few times, but just couldn't turn loose of the cash for it.  One question, does it smell fishy?
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Olderndirt

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 09:39:40 AM »
 Beautiful build. It seems like a perfect canvas for your well documented weathering skills. Just sayin’.

Olderndirt

Hondo

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 09:46:49 AM »
Outstanding change of pace, David.
It's a beauty !!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 10:26:35 PM »
I’m diggin the boats, David!  It’ll be cool to eye the pontoon finished one day.  I’d love to build a ChrisCraft kit!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky