Author Topic: Final Issue -- Scale Auto  (Read 4890 times)

Fordguy01

Re: Final Issue -- Scale Auto
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 10:18:02 AM »
Right after I received my last issue of SA I received an issue of FSM (not read except for the cover) and found NO reason to even open it.  Shortly after that I received an invitation to subscribe to FSM and I sent it back (blank of course) with a letter telling them that they had STOLEN A FRIEND AND A TOOL from me  that I did not build military, was not interested in building military and not to send any more issues of FSM and also take my me off of their mailing list.  Well guess what about 2 weeks later I received a second issue of FSM.  I took it to our model club meeting (unread of course) put both issues on the table along with other members that did not want their copies and one of our junior members finally took them all.  Anyway guys thanks for letting run my lip and I'll close my pumpkin pie hole and get back to building what I love and that's cars!

Al

Olderndirt

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »
 I have come to the conclusion that the plastic model industry has become suicidal. That’s the only logical explanation. Think about it, we’re all trapped in our homes, bored to death. The model business should be booming, but no, the kit prices have been pushed to the edge of insanity, the manufacturers have chosen to produce silly TV show cars, or cookie cutter look alike imports, and a pile of old kit overpriced because they come with a Cocoa Cola decal. You couldn’t accidentally make that many bone headed decisions. And, we car builders got the good end of this deal. I got my FSM apology issue, and just about had a stroke. Kits that have been on the market for most of my life are like seventy dollars. I was stunned, no chrome, no photo etched detail parts, just a grey ship, or plane, in a flat box with possibly new box art, but often not. And everybody is pushing Die Cast. Sorry people Die Cast are not model, they’re collectibles that require not from you but a fat wallet. Oh, and almost none of them are made here, they almost all come from the other side of the planet. Good thing I have several hobbies, hope you do too.

Olderndirt

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 11:06:13 AM »
.....never subscribed to the magazine...with that being said some of the most incredible builds that I have seen in person have been armor and fixed wing military aircraft, but I have absolutely no desire to build those as I derive my building pleasures from scabbing together 'ol Ford dirt trackers.

Perhaps its now time that we here at Short Track Models.com step up and fill the void that is being left by print media and submit more...think of it as writing your own article....examples like new automotive releases, how to's that would pertain more to what we do here, etc. etc.  I know for a fact that we are sitting on a wealth of modeling knowledge on a wide range of subject matter here at this forum and its going to waste not being shared with others, particularly any up and coming younger builders.   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Nydirtracer

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 09:42:59 PM »
I’ve got one more left & Im done. Disappointed because
this subscription started in 1988 as a gift from my late
Grandmother.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 11:29:34 PM »
Well the good news for those of us that enjoy thumbing through paper pages, the new issue of the "rebooted" Model Cars magazine is really good. A copy showed up at my brothers house. He must have had an old subscription which they seem to be honoring.

Tb

Tb

john2

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 05:51:17 AM »
I have done SA off and on for many years.  Really hadn't had much of interest to me since Drew Hierwarter left the Bench Racer column.  He had all sorts of short track stuff. 

What did Walter Chronkite used to say ----  " and that's the way it is. "
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

TonyK

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 06:51:04 AM »
My Scale Auto subscription transferred to Fine Scale Modeler and is good to Feb. 2022 so I'm just gonna ride it out. I enjoy reading about other modeling besides cars......to a point. There is a ton of military stuff in this magazine and I hope they bring in more cars but I'm doubting it.

sentsat71

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 08:12:46 AM »
Ah, yes, I do have another hobby, which has been my primary hobby since 1989...Though I tried to get back into it in early 2006, but for some reason or another, that "bug" did not bite hard enough. All I've really done model wise is to collect kits....and that is in itself a "disease"....because I wanna' do this or that to these kits, but I can't go any further...... :( :'( :o
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 08:46:18 AM »
When SA closed their doors I immediately called the subscription department and had them change my subscription to Model Railroader.  I do not have a layout, but am getting the urge to maybe try my hand at it, even though I am almost 72 and have around 200 unbuilt car kits.  I am actually considering selling off most of my car kits, if nothing else to make sure they don't get sold for $1 apiece at my estate auction.  I have received a couple of "sample" issues of FSM from the publisher over the years and am not impressed with it at all.  I do have three airplanes in my stash: a C-130, the first airplane I worked on in my USAF career and fell in love with it, an F-4D the second one and it just took my soul.  Worked on the F-4 in Thailand, Seymour-Johnson AFB, NC, Kunsan AB, ROK, and Shaw AFB, SC; again another unrequited love affair.  Someday, I will build both of them.  The third airplane model is something I picked up at Ollie's with the idea of turning it into a Bonneville Salt Flats racer.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »
Cool idea on the salt car.  I have seen that done. 

Rick, when I went to Charleston AFB  in '63, they had the C-130s.   I saw one in the air only a couple of weeks back. 

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4