Author Topic: Ad Astra Modeling Club Model Show pictures 11/7/20  (Read 2790 times)

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Ad Astra Modeling Club Model Show pictures 11/7/20
« on: November 07, 2020, 09:08:25 PM »
  The Ad Astra Modeling Club here in Topeka held its inaugural modeling show today.  I took quite a few pictures, so I have provided a link to my Fotki album containing all of the pictures.
   https://public.fotki.com/outlaw-ford/ad-astra-modeling-c/

There were a couple of guys, that you may recognize, from these forums that entered some of their builds ;D

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

sentsat71

Re: Ad Astra Modeling Club Model Show pictures 11/7/20
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 06:58:42 AM »
COOL

Thx for posting!
Ed K.

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 07:08:32 AM »
Neat stuff
Rett

Brian Conn

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »
....I will attempt to do my best Paul Harvey impersonation...

AND now for the rest of the story......
  Back in December of 2013, I received a box....a rather large box from John Gorday.  During that time John was down sizing his diverse collection of many built model kits.  I forget the exact circumstances leading up to me receiving this box , but I was thrilled none the less.

As I carefully unpacked each build, I admired the quality and skill that went in to each ones construction....I soon found a safe location in the hobby room in which to keep and view them.  Occasionally, I would take a look a particular build....just to see how John did it.

It was decided a couple of months ago at the Ad Astra modeling club that there would be a model show....something to take the place of a larger modeling show that was cancelled due to the China virus....so I thought to myself what a great opportunity to display some of the builds that John had built.
  I did not realize how difficult it would be to choose the few builds that I did to display....they are all of top notch quality and construct....so I decided to go with a variety of builds...an asphalt late model, an Indy roadster and an early modified.
   And now you know the rest of the story :)             

john2

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »
The rest of the rest of the story. 

I was honored that Brian wanted to show the cars, although he was too kind on their quality. I asked him that they not be judged. 

The truth on the Red Bug 2 car is that I have a terrible memory.  When you get old, time moves quickly.  Didn't realize it had been 7 years since he got some of my stuff.  No wonder I forgot. 

I do not remember where I got that body.  Over the years , I have done trades with folks, have given away things, and have had things given to me.  Modelers are like that.  And I once bought out a guy. 

Because of the shape of the opera window, I took it to be a 37 Chevy.  I confess that I should have known about split rear window, and frankly I did not remember it, even now. 

So it is what it is.  I enjoyed that he did that, and it was fun going along with his scenario.

And there really was, way back there a real Red Bug 2 ( nothing like mine ) driven by Bob Herrin of Hattiesburg, Mississippi.  www.misschicken.com  under the 1st dirt cars topic.

Thanks again, Brian

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:27:42 PM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Brian Conn

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:39:30 AM »
 Hey your most certainty welcome, John...
    This was a non judged show...no trophies or awards....which kept the trophy hunters away.  There where no categories or themes, so we just located an empty table and set up.

Oh, and by the way....
     I'll be taking some more of your builds to the next show....not sure how many or which ones....so we will be doing this again. ;D   

Olderndirt

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 12:02:42 PM »
 You know Brian, after looking at that coupe again, another possibility would be a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr business coupe. In either situation the quarter window would have been added by the race car builder. I judged the origins of the body by the split rear window, the flat windshield, and the curved A, and B, pillars. Willys has all these features, but so does the Zephyr, but the shape of the rear window looks a little more like a Willys. Maybe this will jog John’s memory.

Olderndirt

john2

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
No, sorry.  Can't remember.

I have built over 100 models since 2006, and I can't recall all of them. 

And between 1985 and 2006, I did a few more than 850 watercolor paintings.  Don't remember all of them either.  I'll be 81 in 3 days.  Maybe y'all can cut me some slack.  lol
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4