Author Topic: 1991 Harry Gant Olds Mr. September  (Read 2934 times)

MarkJ

1991 Harry Gant Olds Mr. September
« on: November 12, 2020, 04:57:46 PM »
In 1991, September had 5 races in the cup series. Harry Gant won the first 4 of them and came in second at the fifth race. That is why sometimes you hear him being called Mr. September. I tryed to do the livery for the Martinsville car because that was the last of his wins in the streak. He only missed winning the 5th race at North Wilkesboro by 10 laps. His tires gave out with ten to go and Earnhardt passed him for the win. He still was able to hold on to second. The livery changed a little at each race. they kept moving the small number 33 at the front of the car for each race. The Martinsville car had it on the hood where you see it on this model. It took 98.5 hours to complete with 43 of those hours going to creating and printing the decals. I actually watched most of these races back in 1991 especially toward the end of the streak just to see how many he could rack up. You say how can you have 5 races in one month? Well i looked it up and its true . All 5 were in the month of September. Unless Racing Reference got it wrong.

MarkJ

Re: 1991 Harry Gant Olds Mr. September
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
Here are pictures of the real car at Martinsville.

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 07:08:36 AM »
GREAT looking build!!!

Very Nicely Done!!!!
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 07:56:42 AM »
Very nicely done, and it actually resembles an Oldsmobile.  Oh, those were the days. Looked it up and September 1st 1991 was a Sunday, so there were races on the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th.  And the mention of North Wilkesboro makes my heart flutter, I live 15 miles from that track.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
That build came out Awesome Mark. Giving the history of this car sure adds to the attraction of this cool car. GREAT job on the Decals too!!! Did you have to double up on the white??
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 03:07:30 PM »
That build came out Awesome Mark. Giving the history of this car sure adds to the attraction of this cool car. GREAT job on the Decals too!!! Did you have to double up on the white??

No , but I had the settings off and it made the white sheets come out with a crease in them and made some of the smaller script images have a double vision look to them. hopefully I can figure that out on the next build. I didnt want to waste more sheets on this build because i just kinda lost interest in it and wanted to get it finished and move on.I did not have this problem with the first 2 builds I did using the laser decals.

MarkJ

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »
Here are those decal sheets. You cant really see the crease that was put in the white sheets because the image is too small.

Hondo

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 08:17:33 PM »
Awesome building there, Mark.
Those back windows are a bit of fun to install.

I sure remember that run ol' Harry had going that September.
I know most folks were happy to see him do it too.
Good guy, still looks like he could get back in one of those things.

MarkJ

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 09:22:07 AM »
I found out what was causing the crease in the finished decal sheets. When i was changing out the black toner to the ghost white toner. When I pushed the tray back in the printer the tray was hanging up a little and not fully dropping into place. Its an easy fix . You just stick you finger in and push it down right before you close the tray. Overall I'm pretty happy with these laser decals.