Author Topic: Gluing Jig  (Read 1559 times)

Fordguy01

Gluing Jig
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:48:15 PM »
Got a question for you guys,  I build these modified dirt track cars by AMT with the multi piece Tobias chassis.  Currently I use the kit supplied interior bucket to align and keep everything as straight as possible but when I do final assembly the alignments are still off.  I looked at Micro Mark and they have a jig for $29.95.  My question is:  Is this worth the money or is there another way to achieve more true alignments.  Thanks for the help guys.

Al

David Bogard

Re: Gluing Jig
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »
My two -cents, I have never used a jig and I have built countless Tobias Chassis based modifieds. I do have a large self-healing cutting mat on my bench where I do all of my work and since it is marked in small squares I find it handy and easy for keeping things generally lined up. Gluing jigs may be the way to go but as yet I have not felt compelled to buy one.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:08:48 AM »
I've thought about building one, similar to what Gary Davis has for the Revell/Monogram sprints, but haven't figured how to do up one for the Tobias modifieds.
Too bad AMT couldn't have put some kind jig in those Tobias kits like they did with the Grant King sprint. But then using that jig right out of the box does not work as is....so the probably would have screwed it up anyway....
Was able to get the Tobias frames started to where one could go forward, but where i had issues was not enough hands to get the front and rear axles lined up for ease of gluing those onto the frames....
Ed K.

David Bogard

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:04:38 AM »
Al- I would also add that I use slow-set super glue and accelerator spray when I have certain tricky gluing situations. The slow-set allows for movement and positioning and then once things are right where I need them, boom- a quick light squirt of accelerator and its all locked in. - David
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 09:42:49 PM »
....Here is what I use...

A general purpose jig.  Its a piece of formed galvanized metal I scrounged from work.  I use magnets to help hold pieces for gluing.  I have a couple of larger speaker magnets (not pictured) that I have used to straighten frames with.  If a frame gets warped , I placed the big speaker magnets either on top or either side of the frame and let it sit in the window frame for a day or two or use my wife's hair dryer on it for quicker results.  Same thing with the spreader clamps....if I have something that absolutely can not be moved once set in place and that is thick enough as to not be distorted by the clamps , then I can use them.
  I have a small assortment of stand alone, base supported holding tools (6" spring clamps, 3rd hand devices) that I have used w/ the jig to build in a vertical verses flat position   
  If it gets gunked up with glue, resin, etc. etc. I simply scrape it clean.     
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:23:33 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington