Author Topic: Just a Little Story  (Read 1935 times)

john2

Just a Little Story
« on: June 13, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
As best I recall,  the first plastic model car kit I ever built was in the late 1950s.  I believe it was a ' 57 or ' 59 Ford.  It was before I was old enough to leave home, which would put me 18 or so. 

Anyway, one Sunday morning while waiting for everyone to get ready to go to church, I was messing with a model.   The top on my small bottle of Testors ( I think ) paint was stuck, so I got the bright idea to wrap a pecan cracker around it to get it open.

It broke the bottle, at its neck in my left hand.  Worth a trip to the doc,  2 stitches, and no church that day.

This morning,  62 or so years later,  waiting for Anne to get ready to go to church, I have been fooling with a ' 50 Chevy pickup.  I opened a little bottle of paint, and I can still see the scar on my left fore finger.

Lotta paint and plastic since that day.   

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:38:17 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

Re: Just a Little Story
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:31:46 AM »
I like your little story from the past. Isn't it interesting how some little thing will bring back those kinds of memories. I started with kits when I was about 10, in the late 50's. All were glue bombs without paint. I remember my mom laying down the rule about "paint the parts before assembly" as of course it said in the directions. I got the Revell harbor tug as a birthday present and my mom helped show me the way by painting a lot of those parts. Of course I never knew about toothpicks and model glue at that point, just a straight shot out of the ol tube. Like you I am getting long in the tooth also, but glad I am still not so set in my ways that I can't learn from others.

Nathan
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"