Author Topic: Cut-Downs  (Read 2761 times)

David Bogard

Cut-Downs
« on: July 15, 2021, 10:25:52 PM »
There was one class of cars that really blew me away and they were typically called "cut downs". Bob P first introduced that notion to me and after some internet searching I came across a handful of wild and wonderful cut downs. Maybe they will inspire some building out there. Here's just a sampling:

This was one that I tried to do a tribute build on. Lots of fun!

I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Dirtman

Re: Cut-Downs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 08:47:29 AM »
These are the cars from Wisconsin that I grew up watching. They were just called modifieds, and we had sportsman(57 chevs etc) that I ran. There were seveal of these modified drivers from that era that could go anywhere to race and win. Those were the good old days. We used to have crowds and car counts that you could hardly believe these days! Slim is the  man that can build these cars!!!!!

Rett

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 08:50:10 AM »
Most of these pictures are from a reunion that gets held every year or so. The cars are restored and some of the drivers are still around.

Rett

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 08:53:09 AM »
Would this be considered a cut down?

This build turns 50 yrs old this summer

This one started around 2006

Currently out with another party for additional body work....
Frame from one of the old MPC modifieds, quite possibly the "36 Chevy 'Wild One"
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
Those are some really interesting looking modifieds.  What type of chassis would they be built on? I have a couple of "bag: kits I have picked up at model shows and trying to figure out what to do with them.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

David Bogard

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 09:54:20 AM »
You're right Rett, Slim did build a couple of those old Wisconsin cars and they looked really good. What year did you "retire" from racing, Rett? Not sure where those would fall sensat71, probably would depend on what part of the country they were in. TarheelRick, I used an Edmonds Chassis on these two builds.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:39:14 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Dirtman

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 10:10:26 PM »
You're right Rett, Slim did build a couple of those old Wisconsin cars and they looked really good. What year did you "retire" from racing, Rett? Not sure where those would fall sensat71, probably would depend on what part of the country they were in. TarheelRick, I used an Edmonds Chassis on these two builds.

I ran one race in1975, won it, sold the car and that was that. I did race a LM at Hales Corners a couple of times in 1980. Didn't get along too well with the owner so bowed out of that. It wasn't worth it to my sanity,lol.

Rett

john2

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »
 :)  Very interesting.

I love the paint choices on the  red and white 4 with  the yellow number.

On the 27, the top half of the background appears to be a painting.  Wonder what's up with that ?

Go to www.misschicken.com and then to dirt cars 1948 - 1969 to see more cut downs. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 12:31:47 PM »
That Gremlin is just way beyond outrageous.

What I loved about these cars was all the rampant "ingenuity" that went into each one. Backyard engineering at it's best. A really good mind was necessary to come up with the idea for one of these. The first photo showing the Ford origin for the body of that car is simply stunning. How do you come up with an idea like that? I love cars built with the old Ford transverse spring and axle set up. In my day, in the mid 60's most of these kinds of cars used old Ford axles as there were tons of them laying around you could have for about nothing. That gives a car a "traditional" look,  like it descended from time, which is mostly what it did as these cars evolved.

These things were not only race cars but "works of art" as good as any Picasso to my way of thinking about it.

MB
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:36:28 PM by Maineboy »
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Fordguy01

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 10:09:21 PM »
Hi guys, old Ford guy here yes I am still around.  Have been going through some things since last month marked the anniversary of my wife's death and it's been hard.  David thank you for the pics those are some of the mods I saw at Capital speedway in the mid 60's into the 70's when I went into the service.  I saw Paul Feldman's #8 car run many times along with Johnny Reimers #A3 a 33/34 Ford sedan cut way down.  Fuzzy Fasbender (the hound dog) also ran a sedan body like that maybe around 65/66 or so but the next year he sported a Corvair body.  The #35 I saw at a museum in Wisconsin (don't remember the name of it) but that car may have been driven by Etchie Bertzer as he was a pioneer in modified racing.  Do any of you fellas have a pic of Joe Jones #21 model A Ford coupe?  The car was powered by a big block Ford and the frame was from a 1940 Ford pickup truck.  and BTW I finally had a dream come true since I was 4, 5, 6 years old, I finally got a bonafide REAL street rod.  A 32 Ford 3 window, slight top chop a 383 stroker with Hilbourne fuel injection system yes, yes guys, I know being a Ford guy and all I got the car at a good price so I had to leap.  Good to be back with you guys.   

Maineboy

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 06:35:44 AM »
I have been a small block chevy guy since high school in 1965 or so. Loved the tri-5 chevy cars, still do, nothing looks as mean as a gasser-style, nose high, 55 coupe on the street. That being said I adore those old Fords. Have worked with lots of model A's and 30's cars. The old flatty motor was just something really special. Some of the best minds in the hot rod business have done wonderful things with those motors, that in  the mid 60's were still so plentiful you could have them for hauling them off. Several years ago I sold a running 85 hp motor out of a 38 sedan....for $275. Just could not see hanging on to a motor that I would have to mortgage my house to buy parts for in today's market.

The Deuce coupe is perhaps the most classic hot rod of all time. It was there in the beginning and is still widely desired today, so desired that both steel and fg bodies are being turned out every day. More of them have been powered by sbc than all the other motors combined. Nothing wrong with having one. I would kill (almost) to have one now. For an awful long time the sbc having the deep part of the oil pan at the back was just a natural in 30's cars. Ford motors with the deep part of the pan in front gave lots of clearance trouble with the front crossmember. One of the best of the classic Ford hot rods I saw in the mid 60's was a chopped and channeled fenderless 34 Ford Pickup with a 50's Olds motor. A rare bird then and still is. It just had a look. Ford cars from the 30's outstrip all other makes as hot rods in my book, regardless of power. Sounds like yours is going to be lots of fun.

MB

Fordguy01

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 09:41:46 AM »
Good morning MB you and I agree that the 32 is the most classic iconic car whether in street rod trim, racing, (straight line or roundy round) and stock they are a beautiful car full fendered or not.  I'm extremely excited to drive it and when I have it out she sure turns heads.  I get all sorts of questions about the car and I answer like a proud new papa. I sent pics to my daughter and the first thing she asked me "is that a model car dad"?  I told her no that its the real mccoy and she was very happy for me. Unfortunately the weather here has been too hot to get it out as I don't have air conditioning in it yet but maybe this winter I can get it installed this weekend is supposed to cool down so I'll get it out and have some fun.  I'm not good at doing pics on here so when I can get my granddaughter over here to help me  I'll sent some pics.  Have a good day.

Al

Maineboy

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2021, 02:51:15 PM »
Glad you are enjoying your car. I would be enjoying the daylights out of it if it was mine too. Folks our age recognize the deuce coupe as the classic hot rod. Younger people, who have not been around that long don't recognize the deuce coupe's place in hot rod history. Show that baby off every chance you get.

Looking forward to pics.

MB

Fordguy01

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 04:37:28 PM »
When I get it out you can bet I'll have a big grin from ear to ear.  I didn't build the car myself but am still happy to answer any and all questions I can.

Al