Author Topic: Fabrication flustration  (Read 1463 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Fabrication flustration
« on: July 29, 2021, 10:05:06 AM »
I knew one of the major hurdles on this car was going to be the hood scoop. Finally got psyched up and dug in. After 2 1/2 evenings at the bench and several scrapped prototypes, I'm fairly satisfied. Ruined some plastic, glued, filled, primered, ground away boo boos, sanded through the plastic in a couple of places, added filler, ground, sand primer, you get the idea. With this part done, I feel some momentum. What part holds you all up on a build? Fire away!

john2

Re: Fabrication flustration
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »
 :)  Lowering.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

David Bogard

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 03:58:09 PM »
Tom- Build a small stash of various plastic spoons and much of your hood scoop problems will get smaller.

Time (and heat or cold in the garage) are what holds me up. The least favorite part of any build by far for me is the finishing part (the decals and  the little doo-dads here and there, etc). I much prefer the cutting/adding/fabricating part of the build, but after the heavy lifting is done I get bored with the finishing part real quick. In other words, I'd rather build something from nothing or sheets of styrene than I would to paint it and slick it all up for presentation at the end.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 06:58:59 PM »
....Ditto on what David said about plastic spoons.

What holds me up?  Good question....
  I just finished up Mon. evening scratching a dual line Holly fuel rail since none could be located out there.....basically something small enough to fit in a thimble with plenty of room left over that took me a few hours to build.  Lots of small parts a pieces that needed glued and fittings that needed painted.
  I make my own decals.....that eats up a ton of time with designing and sizing, which at times, is quite mind numbing.

I've made a point the last couple of years to make the the areas that were difficult for me to be easier for me as I build.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:00:44 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington