Author Topic: Wicked good Vintage racing in Maine  (Read 3724 times)

Maineboy

Wicked good Vintage racing in Maine
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:59:42 PM »
"Wicked" is a very common saying in this state. Something can be wicked bad or wicked good. These guys get together and race a bit. These cars are often modern day builds of cars that existed many years ago. Taking a clue from David's "cut downs" thread here are some wicked good race cars. Take a look.

Real low rider
vintage13 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Nice shoebox Ford hardtop
vintage7 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Nice 63. My favorite ford of the 60's
vintage12 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Mean looking low nosed coupe
vintage10 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

I found a wicked good Gremlin too
vintage9 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Just a gorgeous car. My favorite of all on this post. Just looks fast when standing still.
vintage8 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Can't have a collection of cars without a nice stude.
vintage6 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

There is at least one guy on here who raced a 57 Chev, many moons back. This one I would describe as just simply "wicked".
vintage5 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

This one looks like  a David Bogard build. This is simply pleasing to the eyes just looking at it.
vintage4 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

My kind of race car, a 55 with attitude. Love it's look.
vintage3 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

I salute all these guys, their dedication to keeping the past alive, in the best way they know how, and their willingness to spend large amounts of money and sweat on such a venture. Preserving history is always welcomed wherever I see it.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

David Bogard

Re: Wicked good Vintage racing in Maine
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »
Inspiring stuff! They are all terrific but that low-slung humpback coach is really cool!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 11:23:27 PM »
Yeah that car is pretty unique. I did some research with google looking at chevy's of the 30's and think that is what is left of a 36 Chevy coach. Sure is low to the ground. Never seen anything quite like that before.

MB

john2

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 06:42:07 AM »
 :)  I like the Studebaker.  Thanks for the post.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 07:36:48 AM »
It was late last night when I posted the article. Forgot to put in the link to a real good website that they have. Quite a few more pics there. Plus info on what they do.

https://www.wickedgoodvintageracing.com/

The people look like they are having way too much fun.

MB

TonyK

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 08:19:52 AM »
Nice variety of cars. Wouldn't be able to pick a favorite.

Dirtman

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 08:45:09 AM »
Really cool. Wish they were still the style today!!

Rett

Maineboy

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 08:55:12 PM »
Rest assured that you are not alone with that thought. Back in those days what I remember the most......is the fun it was. Yes we spent some money but more than that we spent a ton of sweat equity on it and enjoyed every minute of it. If I could go back and do it again I would do it in a heartbeat.

Most of these cars trigger that nostalgia in us old guys.

MB

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 10:30:44 PM »
....Looks a whole lot like the asphalt version of what we have around here running dirt in the vintage class...always a blast to watch :)
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

TarheelRick

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 01:25:52 PM »
It was late last night when I posted the article. Forgot to put in the link to a real good website that they have. Quite a few more pics there. Plus info on what they do.

https://www.wickedgoodvintageracing.com/

The people look like they are having way too much fun.

MB
[/quote]
Went there just doing a quick scan and in the gallery "Race Days 2019-2020" (I think) there was one particular car that caught my attention.  The site will not allow copying of the pictures.  About 3/4 the way through that particular gallery there are pictures of a black #18.  The full on side view doesn't show the issue very well but a couple pictures later it is quite obvious.  They have grafted a '62 Chevy frontclip onto the body of a '59 Chevy.  Pretty cool looking racer.
Anyway, thanks for posting this site.  I had the opportunity to see some of a group of local vintage racers back in 2011.  They do race, but they do as little rubbing as necessary.  I imagine those old bodies can get quite expensive to replace.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Maineboy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 02:02:27 PM »
I think this is the one you are talking about.

18 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Now that there is kinda bizzare to say the least. I missed that in my looking at the photos. This is most definitely one of a kind for sure. I think from the rear photo a bit earlier it may be a 60 back end. 60's had the outer part of that wild fin flattened off. They still look the same from the side. That is the glass top they used on them for several years. Thing that stands out to me is the drastically altered wheelbase. Rear axle has been moved ahead a lot. Don't know who would build this. But then Ed Roth built hot rods that nobody ever thought anyone would ever build.

That is surely a strange animal in my book.

MB

TarheelRick

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 02:23:42 PM »
Yeah, now that you mention it, it is a '60.  But this picture seems to show it with the '60 front clip, notice the slight crease line in the fender forward of the wheelwell.  A couple later shots with the 3/4 front view clearly shows the '62 clip.  That altered wheelbase definitely caught my attention.  I started a '62 body with that particular wheelbase modification, but when I tried to 'bubble' the front fenders I put it back in the parts box.  May have to dig it out and see what can be done with it.
BTW how did you copy that picture?  The site says at the bottom "copying is not allowed" and it would not let me copy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 02:25:32 PM by TarheelRick »
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »
 :)  lol  lol  lol  lol

I once saw a Tri 5 LM  -  a '56  Chevy, with the rear fenders and trunk off  a '55. No one seemed to notice or care, but it wasn't as wierd as that thing.   
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 04:59:57 PM »
Rest assured that you are not alone with that thought. Back in those days what I remember the most......is the fun it was. Yes we spent some money but more than that we spent a ton of sweat equity on it and enjoyed every minute of it. If I could go back and do it again I would do it in a heartbeat.

Most of these cars trigger that nostalgia in us old guys.

MB
You  nailed it! I'd go back in and do it again, only better.  Along that line, I'm flying back to Milwaukee for a Hales Corners Speedway reunion in September. Seeing racers I haven't seen in nearly 50 yrs is going to be a blast!!!

Rett

Maineboy

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 06:30:45 PM »
  .........."Along that line, I'm flying back to Milwaukee for a Hales Corners Speedway reunion in September. Seeing racers I haven't seen in nearly 50 yrs is going to be a blast!!!".....

I bet that will be a great time.  Wish I could see some of the guys I raced with. Many of them are gone sadly. But the memories will live on as long as I do.