Author Topic: Couple of Oldies  (Read 8108 times)

sentsat71

Couple of Oldies
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »
This one I inherited from my oldest brother in 1964 when he went into the Navy. It was built sometime between 1961 and early 1964.Decals were not added until in the late '60's

The next one was I believe the 1st reissue of the AMT '32 Ford Coupe. It was originally built as an exact copy of the one above. This redo may have helped lead to the demise of my original Lindberg White Lightning build. Engine and radiator were lifted from that kit. However, the intake manifold and carbs were replaced a 2-4bbl carb set up, from the parts box. hood was a well cut down from a '39/'40 Ford sedan build. Took the interior out, planted a custom seat, maybe from the same '57 Chevy kit as the one in the Merc "Hobby stock". IIRC this also has the push bar from the White Lightning kit. Wheels and tires from parts box. Cut off the front frame extensions, and replaced them with a couple pieces of parts tree. took the stock '32 Ford bumper, cut the ends of the bumper off, then reversed the ends. Scratch built a partial simple roll cage, from the ever present parts trees. Received a new paint job in the mid 1970's, the car number from the MPC 1/20 scale McClaren CanAm kit.
Ed K.

Bill in MA

Re: Couple of Oldies
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
Wow!  That first one is older than me!  ;D

A couple of great looking builds.

Good on you for taking such good care of them all this time.  8)
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
Thanks for the comments....!!

Both have held up well....but then, for a good portion of the past 40 years, they have been packed away most of the time.....

Actually I'm a bit surprised that the blue #80 made it out of the mid '60's....since my brother had all the parts, and he had never glued the engine in place, i would keep replacing the engine with the stock one, changing the radiator accordingly, put on the stock fenders, stock wheels, stock hood, etc....and kept changing them back and forth......IIRC I did not add the decals until after building the #48 (back then the number was 76).....
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:22:05 PM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:13:35 PM »
Thanks, Steven.
Ed K.