Author Topic: Model car magazines??  (Read 1924 times)

Maineboy

Model car magazines??
« on: October 21, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »
You can tell I have been away from model building for some time. In my youth, late 60's there were several model car magazines with unbelievable work on display. 

Are there any model car magazines left or have they folded up like most other magazines other than  those super market tabloids I just can't stand and don't know what kind of people buy them. I have been interested in model railroads since the early 60's and Model Railroader still survives but is just a ghost of what it once was. I love articles where guys built everything they had. Now you just go to your hobby store with a couple thousand bucks and buy it all ready to go. Times have sure changed.

Hard to find good reading on most any topic today.

One of the best things about this forum is that fact that so many creative people are building models that you can't buy in a kit, in fact lots of cars here have parts from all kinds of kits and places. I just love it when you build what you feel and have a really one of a kind model.  That is what grabs my attention every time.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

TarheelRick

Re: Model car magazines??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 10:44:01 AM »
There is one called "Model Cars".  It is quite sporadic in publishing, but when it does come out most of the content is quite well produced.  Don't know if it is available in hobby stores or not; if you want to risk a subscription that would be your choice.  Other than that there is always "Fine Scale Modeler" if you are into military and aircraft with the occasional page or two covering automotive modeling.  Pickings are pretty slim when it comes to auto modeling magazines or for that matter any magazines.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 05:57:52 AM »
I still have a few from back in the day
didn't find them until Aug 1968....
Car Model
Model Car & Science

even those have limited articles on builidng actual model cars as they also had a LOT of coverage of slot car racing....
late 1972 bought an Aurora(?) HO slot car set.  added some track and a car or to in the early '70's after moving to the Los Angeles Metro area. but soon lost intereste....all that's left of that is a couple cars Several moves took care of the rest....as in just tossing them in the trash....
Ed K.

Maineboy

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 09:55:17 PM »
I too got an Aurora slot car set for Christmas one year but the novelty wore off quickly. If you were the guy in the outside you could just let the tail end rub against that fence in a turn and take it at full throttle. Soon it became which slot you had more than the fastest car.

It strikes me as humorous in a way to find tons of magazines at the checkout counters now and none of them have anything to do with model cars. You can find all kinds of women's magazines and all those Hollywood mags about the stars and who is doing what with whom, and I wonder why does anyone care about that. Aren't there any men around today who want to build models of cars, or other things, or want to build scale railroads? What will the magazines be in another 10 yrs?

Early in my high school carreer  a local guy rented a store front and built a very large slot track in there for 6 cars at a time. There were kits for cars and all kinds of accessories sold for them and I remember them in magazines. Even that got so money could buy a really good car and a guy who had less to spend did not have much of a chance. 

But then we got interested in the 1:1 scale dirt tracks nearby and slot cars took a back seat. I have no regrets either.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"