Author Topic: New Kit  (Read 1962 times)

john2

New Kit
« on: November 05, 2021, 07:53:31 AM »
 :)  I was in Michaels yesterday, and they had a Revell '56 Chevy post car.  Build it stock or custom.

I am sure you guys would like to check that out.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

Re: New Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 09:15:35 PM »
John, was it the 56 DelRay kit?  I am working on one right now to replicate my first 1:1 race car, a 56 Chevy 2 dr post car #56.  If so that kit has a real good model of the engine, much much better than the 1955 Chevy kit by AMT, that engine in that one is pretty crude.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

john2

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »
 :)  I am sorry.  I am really not sure on that.  The box art was impressive, but I did not linger for the details.

I am holding my kit buying to a minimum these days.  There was a time when I would have scooped it up.

It's probably on the Revell web site, but I have not looked for it. 

UPDATED INFO

It is a Del Ray, but still don't know about the engine.

type in       Revell 1956 Chevrolet model car kit
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:28:11 AM by john2 »

Maineboy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 07:22:10 AM »
John, yes it is this one.

delray by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

This kit has a real nice body with nice molded on detail. If one is looking for a 56 Chev 2 dr post to build into whatever, as I was, this is real nice. The engine in this model kit has really nice detail on it. I bought a 55 Chev Belair 2 dr post to build into a replica of John Beauchamps first stock car someday when I have time. That is an AMT kit. The engine model in that is extremely crude. I am disappointed with AMT on that one. The Revell kit even has the correct exhaust manifolds for the 265 while the AMT kit uses the rams horn ones. These kits are costing more as time goes by but it does not seem reasonable to me to expect the quality to go downwards.

The Revell DelRay kit is really nice. The only complaint I have is I can't imagine building it with those baby buggy wheels on it, but that is just me. I am way too Ol Skool  to go into that stuff. It is a nice kit that I would recommend to anyone. Previously it was hard to find a kit that was not a 2 dr hardtop. When I was a kid, and using 1:1 scale cars the drag guys loved the 2 dr post model as it was the lightest body in the manufacturers line of car models. In high school one of these definitely had the "look" as opposed to a 4 dr sedan or wagon.  Those were girls cars.

MB

TarheelRick

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 09:38:01 AM »
Maineboy, please start a WIP on your build.  My first car was a '56 150, paid $100 for it 6cyl and 3 on the tree..  I have two of the original DelRay kits and one of the later with some weird wheels and tires.  Like you I agree, these cars scream for a set of 15" Keystones or Cragar mags with 9.00X15 on the rear and some 7.60X15's on the front.  Ideas for my three kits: 1:1 replica of my first one (if I can remember the black/white color scheme), short track 60's fantasy build, and either street machine or mild custom.  Got to get my bench cleaned off and some heat in the basement so I can get back to building - time is rapidly slipping away.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »
 :)  That's the one.

Maineboy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 01:52:41 PM »
Tar Heel Rick,  Here you go. I have got the frame pretty well along and am removing the chrome and enlarging the wheel wells to match the original car. That car too was originally a 56 "150", 6 cyl and three on the tree. Getting back to work on it shortly with daylight rapidly shortening up.

http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=1890.0

There is an entry in that thread where I show the dramatic difference between the Revell engine and  what AMT is trying to pass off as the same engine.  It is sad that quality drops as kit prices rise. Should be the other way around shouldn't it?