Author Topic: Resin NASCAR tires circa 1960  (Read 1469 times)

Maineboy

Resin NASCAR tires circa 1960
« on: April 07, 2022, 08:34:37 PM »
I am looking for some tires for a couple of NASCAR projects from around 1960. I would like to find something in resin. I know that we have been talking about Larry at Big Donkey being out of the business and I can't seem to find anything else. I got some wheels from Ron Coon and have some plastic tires I bought on ebay but they don't seem right. Didnt see anything on Ron's site that I thought would work.

What do you guys have for ideas?

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Re: Resin NASCAR tires circa 1960
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 10:04:20 PM »
Not resin, but I really like the PPP Firestones. They come with decals too. They also have an early Goodyear set. See link below. Ronnie at Southern Motorsports is great to deal with. Is this what you bought on ebay?

Here's one I used on a 60s dirt car.

https://stores.smhracing.com/plastic-performance-products/?sort=featured&page=7
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 10:12:37 PM by Tom Birky »

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 06:16:50 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for the response. I have the PPP Goodyears. They are nice looking pieces. I have some wheels from Ron Coon. But the tires and wheels are not a good fit. I either need resin tires to fit my wheels or other wheels to fit the tires. I found Bandit Resins last night and he has the PPP tires and H&M wheels they will fit. Was trying not to spend a lot of $$$ on this project but guess I will have to do a bit more shopping.

Got to find the right combo as I want to build several early 60's NASCAR racers. I have gotten several early 60's kits from Fred. His prices have been real good compared to ebay. Along about '62 or '63 is when I first started following NASCAR. Junior Johnson was my hero, largely because he was a Chevrolet guy but also a very talented man as the whole world came to see eventually.

These "crate cars" of today may be interesting to some but not to me. I enjoyed the individual ingenuity and ability of all those back yard engineers.....that don't exist in NASCAR anymore.

MB

JimM

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 07:21:05 AM »
Another resource, check out Modelhaustires.com. They offer early NASCAR style tires product number 807.

Maineboy

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 08:30:36 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the link. I just checked it out, seems as though they have lots of good stuff.

MB

Maineboy

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 08:41:53 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.

I bought these 6 lug wheels and Goodyear tires from Bandit Resins. Several people are selling them on ebay. Both wheels and tires are plastic but well made. Here is a photo of what I bought.

DSCF0004 (11) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

The tires seem to be made really well. These are Goodyear. They were used on the Black Widow 57 Chevies and for a few years after. These are 7 1/2 inch wheels. They were superseded by the Holman and Moody 9 inch wheels in 1962 or so. The H&M wheels must have resolved the wheel breakage issues as they were 5 lug, on the Pontiac pattern. But everybody used them after that. I sand the treads up to make them look like they have been on a car, then mask the treads, and spray the rest of the tire with matte gloss.

I just had a hip replacement yesterday so am not moving real good at the moment. My bench is downstairs and it will be a few days before I can do that but will paint up the wheels and fix up the tires so I can see what they look like. The wheelbacks are made for steel axles but look like they have enough meat to be bored out to fit the 60 Chevy kit snap-on stubs OK.

I am glad I found someone who makes wheels and tires to fill that gap between street tires and full racing tires on H&M wheels. I would recommend these highly and they are not expensive at all for the quality.

MB