Author Topic: The Past is our future too. 34 5W Coupe, Unity ME, 1954  (Read 1464 times)

Maineboy

The Past is our future too. 34 5W Coupe, Unity ME, 1954
« on: May 09, 2022, 07:28:01 AM »
One of the great treats of this modelling business is that you can build models of cars that almost nobody ever knew existed. Car racing got started on dirt fairground tracks and Maine was no exception. Hundreds and hundreds of cars were built, in the late 1940's and 1950's that never achieved any sort of fame at all. All of these were junkers of one sort or another that did not cost any money to build and race. These were supported heavily by citizens from the various driver's families and towns. Most have passed into obscurity leaving little to no traces.

However pictures of more than a few of them survive, some not labeled as to builder/driver yet others belonging to guys who later became quite well known.  I am intrigued with these old cars enough to try and build models of a few of them, guessing at some colors and features. The few cars I am familiar with in Maine had hundreds, probably thousands, of copies of others just like them, built and raced across the country. This picture crossed my path last year some time. The place is Unity Raceway, Unity, ME, around 1954, my best guess.

This is a 34 Ford 5W coupe with what appears to be an 85 hp Ford Flathead motor, that looks as stock as you can get, even right down to the oil bath air cleaner that they came from Ford with. The driver's name is Bill Carleton, from Bangor, ME. He started racing when Unity opened in 1948. This is not his first car and is far from his last. He was driving late models into the 1970's. We competed with him at Speedway 95 in Bangor, and our track in Ellsworth, ME, in the late 60's. He drove a beautiful 56 Ford, that I loved way too much for a Chevy guy, but always admired the man and his skills.

bc1 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Just so happens I landed an AMT 34 5W from Fred a couple months back with this car in mind. Let's see what I can do with it. Imagination is already running on it.

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

john2

Re: The Past is our future too. 34 5W Coupe, Unity ME, 1954
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »
 :) Go for it !  I am sure it will be great.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Maineboy

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 04:40:18 PM »

Just got my hands on my first ever airbrush and for the first time I sprayed acrylic paint. This will help my model building as my wife will be able to stand having a spray booth in my little model shop corner. She has been extremely sensitive to smells from oil paints so this is a great deal for both of us.

Been a bit timid about trying out my ability to use an airbrush. Watched some you tube videos and finally got my courage up yesterday. I am using cheap craft paints like they carry in Wal Mart and other places. The trick is to thin it enough I think. Got my act in gear and sprayed the 34 Ford Coupe Body, for this particular project, yesterday afternoon. I think I got it a bit thin in a couple of spots but am amazed at how well it colored, and how good the finish seems to be, even on dead flat paint. The thinness of the layers of paint does not hide the small details like oil paint does.This is a combination of "barn red" and "burnt umber". I am calling it "burnt maroon". I am pretty sure I am going to go to using nothing but acrylic paints in the future. Drying time is way shorter and you can use clear gloss, satin or flat finishes to cover it all in the end.

My wife got me the airbrush and compressor from Harbor Freight, the combo they sell for $89. It is a cheap unit but I thought a good place to get the basic idea without spending a ton of money. I am hooked on acrylic paint and airbrush now, like it way better than spray bombs already.

DSCF0001 (21) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

MB
"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 08:26:49 PM »
Looking good.  My wife bought me a rather expensive one and I've yet to use it! Chicken I guess!

Rett