Author Topic: New ACME 1/18 sprint kit  (Read 953 times)

GWSTEXAS

New ACME 1/18 sprint kit
« on: December 27, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »
Hello all,
I finally got the new ACME 1/18 sprint car kit.
This kit is a HUGE improvement over the old GMP/R&R kit. With this kit, it’s possible to build very accurate replicas of today’s sprint cars, both wing and non-wing. The kit is available in white or primer. I have the white kit, so I can’t say if the primer is actually primed for painting or just a gray primer color. This kit is a bit more expensive than the old GMP kits (if you can find them) but the improved accuracy for modern cars is worth the extra cost and they are probably cheaper than buying an old GMP completed car and stripping it.

The Chassis is a generic down-tube unit, very similar to almost any modern sprint chassis. Like the old GMP kits, the chassis comes in one piece so no assembly is required. The chassis is black and many of the components are permanently attached, so painting any other color will be a challenge. More about painting later. The chassis assembly includes the firewall, dash, steering wheel and rear-end assembly, all permanently attached. The seat is a separate piece. It comes with seatbelts and SIMPSON logos

The kit comes with one right (fan) side body panel/arm guard. There are mounting pegs to help locate the panel on the chassis. This panel includes a piece that fits under the engine, which is not present on many of today’s cars. Since the panel is plastic, that piece can be easily cut out. There are three options for left (infield) side panels. Any of the three can be used to create almost any style car.

The kit includes three hoods with appropriate noses.  Any of the three options can be used with any of the body panel options.

The tail is quite a bit more accurate than the old GMP kit. It is mounted in the chassis with two very small Phillips screws. They can be removed with a small screw driver. One from a repair kit for eyeglasses should work.

The engine is nicely detailed with wiring for fuel lines, gauges, magneto, etc. The engine assembly is permanently attached to the chassis.

The kit offers several wheel/tire combinations. The tires are rubber and pre-printed with HOOSIER logos.

I will be able to make decals for the new kits and most of my existing sprint decals can be modified to fit.

Best,

Gary

TonyK

Re: New ACME 1/18 sprint kit
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 11:27:21 AM »
Thanks for the review. It looks like Acme is sold out but I saw a couple of other places that had them in stock. No pictures of a built car or wings. Odd.