Author Topic: Abandoned Salvino Modified  (Read 2175 times)

john2

Abandoned Salvino Modified
« on: July 30, 2023, 06:07:05 AM »
 :)  Letting you know that I have dropped my modified at mid stream. 

After hearing the comments as to how difficult they are to build, I have known all along that mine would probably not work out.

At 83, as they say, " life is too short " to let it make me unhappy.  We have enough to deal with as it is.

So, I have a '34 5 window coupe I can make into a jalopy, and a '55 Chevy pickup I can build to pull it with a tow bar.  That will keep me busy, and give me a lot more enjoyment.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

TarheelRick

Re: Abandoned Salvino Modified
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 08:41:15 AM »
Sorry to hear that John. After looking at the intricacies of a 1:1 I sort of figured they would be a real bear to put together.  Although I love the looks of them, my thinking is like yours "why let something you are supposed to enjoy bog you down." Looking forward to what you do with the '34 Jalopy.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Volzfan59

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 10:57:02 AM »
While "only" 63, I agree John why deal with something that you know is going to frustrate you. I've got a Salvino's modified too. It keeps getting bumped down on the build list although I haven't given up on the idea..............yet. Enjoy your jalopy racing team.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

john2

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 05:09:32 AM »
 :) :)  I have a chassis half done, without the engine,  plus a nice ole Blue paint job, with a pretty fair hand lettered Baldwin 7 and CURB Records on it.  My fantasy.   So I have decided to glue as many body panels on it as I can make fit, and then set  it up on blocks.

I'll show'em.   Ha ha ha.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 01:51:02 PM »
Awesome! Sometimes you gotta tweek your plans a little.

Tom

john2

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 10:40:28 AM »
 :) :)  Thank you Tom.  I really appreciate that. 

pdaly28

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 01:18:24 PM »
so john,have you gotten any further on the salvino mod?I have built 3 with the help of a vidio on the build.Yep they are a bear!and i still have 1 more to do....maybe in the fall!it's currently 112 here and has been for a long time.Thake car and enjoy your modified builds

TarheelRick

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 04:27:53 PM »
Just got back from the CKM model show.  Wes Models was there with his modifieds, he sells most of the parts separately and that chassis gave me a headache just looking at it.  I would love to have one, but these old ham-fists I have could not quite get the job done.

Volzfan59

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 05:33:29 PM »
TarheelRick, Not trying to hijack the post, did Wes have any of his new trailers there? The pictures really look nice.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

john2

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 12:25:45 PM »
 :) It's ok.  Those trailers are real nice, but I already have enough.

I have all the body parts on the modified,  except the 3 piece nose, and the piece that goes from there to the hood.  I chose the bubble hood, and I might stick the air cleaner on top, and the headers out the side.  You can't see the engine anyway. 

And I might get the rear tires on, but I'll not mess with that  front suspension.  I can do the nerf bars, and bumpers probably. 

The Whelen and SMART seasons end on October 29, so I'll not fiddle with it past that.
We have long ago forgotten how to post pictures, but maybe we can get some to Tom, and he will post them. 

As for the jalopy I have the kit engine done, as well as the interior bucket.  I think I will glue the halo bars into the top, and let the uprights hang down in there some where, or maybe leave them out altogether. Planning for it to be white top and red bottom, carrying a yellow 444.

I am old and tired, so maybe you guys will cut me some slack.  I've built 3 or 4 hundred models, as best I could, in my life anyway. 

Rick, any way to see pictures of that show ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 12:30:58 PM by john2 »

TarheelRick

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 08:49:13 AM »
I didn't get any pictures, spent most of the time trying to sell off some of my stock. Wes did have some of his trailers and they are beautiful. He was set-up just across the room from me and he had the trailers and cars on display on top of his fold-out. I did get a chance to go over there and look at his stuff.  But much as John has alluded to, I am getting too old and my fingers are too uncoordinated to deal with such small fiddly parts.  Right now an AMT one=piece chassis is about my limit. I am sure either CKM or someone else will post photos from the show, if I see one I will post the link.

john2

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 10:12:43 AM »
 :)  Thanks, Rick.  I love to see pictures from the shows.

Yes, the model car hobby does not seem to appeal to the young folks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:14:47 AM by john2 »

Volzfan59

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 02:53:19 PM »
Rick, Thank you for the trailer information. They look great in pictures, I just wanted a real world prospective.

john2

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2023, 06:30:35 AM »
 :)  And so it goes ....  I have put the modified on the shelf with all the finished models.  I kept all the unused parts.  Someday I might get a yen to fool with it some more....  but I kinda doubt it.

I'd really love to get y'all some pictures.  I'll try.  What I have isn't too bad. 

TarheelRick

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 08:48:55 AM »
This is all I have found so far. It is a YouTube video done by Mark Batson and pretty much covers the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZEhoLbZ92U

You will probably have to copy and paste to get it to open.