Author Topic: Unique front suspension super modified 1966-67  (Read 9033 times)

Bob P.

Unique front suspension super modified 1966-67
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »
The car pictured below is a full size replica of the original Don Rice Ford number 31, built by Gus Frear, and driven by Gerald Chamberlain.

CHECK OUT THIS UNIQUE INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION. IT USES PARALLEL TORSION BARS ON THE FRONT.

Maybe I can get David Bogard to build the front suspension and I could build a replica.

Hosted on Fotki

I couldn't figure out how it worked and I don't think the guys on the picture could either.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Bob

Rich Sipos

Re: Unique front suspension super modified 1966-67
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
Looking at the RT front wheel between it and the hood is the drag link connection from the steering box. They ran the steering on the RT side. They are using 2 idoler arms with a 3 piece tie rod. The 2 other silver bars are reinforcements from the frame to radiator support. It does look confusing with the heim joints. That could have been for front end wedge adjustments, or just to confuse people which a lot of the builders did. Anyway that is how I see this front end, hope it helps? Enjoy
 Rich

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
Looking at the two that are crossed behind the front steering. To me it looks like one end is monted to the frame and the other end is mounted to the bracket holding the upper control arm, possible to be for tuning suspension?? I don't know!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

john2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »
 :)  I don't know anything about suspension geometry, but it sure is a nice looking racer.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 05:16:49 AM »
Before scrolling down to read the new posts, it finally popped out on how the steering worked.....then I scrolled down to David's post. (Okay, so you don't believe me!  :D :D :D)
But it may be due to the angle of the picture, but to me, it looks like the RF tire sits slightly forward of the LF tire. Even the angle of the right section of the tie rod "suggests" this.
Purpose?
Ed K.

Rich Sipos

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »
I had another thought on the 2 crossed bars! They mount to the frame rails then at the back near radiator to brackets and these brackets could be the adjusters for the torsion bars? What do you think? Sentsat71 back in the day we would have the RTF lead the LFF to help turn left, and the practice is still used.
 Rich

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »
Thanks, Rich

Remember back in the early '70's the teams of the CRA learned things from a couple of traveling outlaws (before WoO) of another set up. At least I don't think it was being done.....
Disconnecting the RF brake (or removing it all together) to help set the car for the turns (dirt track)
At least that's the way I remember it..... :)
Ed K.

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
That is very cool, a modeling challenge, for sure!