Author Topic: My Old Work Truck  (Read 3466 times)

David Bogard

My Old Work Truck
« on: October 26, 2017, 01:04:24 PM »
Just finished this build. That back story is that up until I was 30 or so I worked for my Dad in his Building and Remodeling Company. He was pretty tough on me and I remember him telling me that summer after 6th grade, "I hope you had a nice childhood" and I spent that summer working with one of the siding crews. By the time I had gotten out of college I had already worked in every aspect of building homes and I enjoyed it so much I decided to just keep doing it with him. Hard, hard work but because of my Dad pushing me like he did I have been able to build a few of my own homes and I can still "fix" anything around the house. My favorite and most cherished "tool" was my GMC pickup. It was plain-jane, four-wheel drive, had the ladder racks, tool boxes, everything I needed to do my job. I also put a new Meyer plow on it when I bought it and it only took 2 1/2 winters up there in snowy Illinois to pay for the entire truck! Anyway, here is my beloved old work truck with all the little touches that made it mine. The racks, tool boxes, hitch, and other little touches are all scratchbuilt to replicate my truck. I used the short bed GMC kit and simply lengthened the box and frame to correctly make the long bed that I had and even knocked down the paint to better match the "poor" quality of GM's work during that era. Still, that truck was a work-horse like no other and it never gave me a lick of problems during its hard life with me and I "loved" that old truck so. Oh if only this little truck could talk. . . it could tell you stories that would take up the rest of the day!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:06:03 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Dirtman

Re: My Old Work Truck
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
Nice build!!

Rett

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 03:27:01 AM »
Mighty nice looking truck.  Good work on extending that bed.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 04:01:25 AM »
Very nice looking rig!

Posted it just in time....might come in handy in this area today into to tomorrow....White stuff forecast.....    ;) :D :D
Ed K.

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
Nice build David and a good story to go with it.

Bob

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 12:25:53 PM »
That looks like a GOOD work truck David. Great job on the replication. My Father also was in the building trade. He had a 65 Ford(long bed) with the same (it looks the same anyway) rack setup to carry all the stuff we(yes...I was also recruited at a young age..) needed for the job. Ladders...pipe...wood..etc. Probably the same for you. Dad also had the side storage bins that mounted on top of the Bed rail....in between the front and rear down posts. I had in mind to build that truck way back when and just haven't gotten to it( I'd forgot..actually) This build of yours has sparked that idea to life...I"m putting it on the build list(physically). Great build and GREAT back story...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Charlie.D

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
Very nice job done on that truck. Thanks for sharing with us
Charlie Daniel

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
Excellent build David!!!!! I miss my old truck too!!!! Had a 79 K10 Scottsdale long bed 4x4, mine was the lighter brown color and same thing, if that ok girl could talk!!!!   I’d be in trouble,
That’s all I gotta say!!!!!! Lol 😂
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »
Kool stuff!!!!! Love the wagon!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 02:04:22 AM »
WOW, David!!!  One great model truck and a great back story.  What a Kool way to tell a bit of your history.  I love the Omar Bakery truck!!!  I remember mom buying from them with home delivery.   Thanks for sharing!!!🤗👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁

I just got a thought...I need to build a replica of the 1950 GMC wrecker of the Birky & Son Mobil Service from my childhood.  Okay, gotta get me an old 50 Chevy truck kit for a start...🤔😎🏁
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:07:41 AM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 03:42:46 AM »
WOW!!!
Great looking wagon and panel truck!!  Neat stories as well.....!!

Ed K.