Author Topic: Cage Building on an old NASCAR  (Read 15214 times)

David Bogard

Cage Building on an old NASCAR
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:57:47 AM »
I realize that every set of interior bars is generally different depending upon the build but as I work through this old Impala Glue Bomb I figured I would show some basics as to how I usually approach scratch building a cage. I normally use the #222 rod but since this is such a big car, probably used bigger tubing so I will go with #212 (.080 rod)

I start by making roughly a 90 degree bend to create one leg and then I insert it into the top of the body to see how wide I need to make it. I'll make a mark and bend the other leg. I also almost always start at the rear of the cage.

Next I will make a couple of marks where I want to rear cage legs to connect to the frame and then drill holes that fit the rod fairly snug but will still let it slide up/down.

Now I can set my body on the cage and push it down in order to adjust the cage height so that it is nice and close to the top of the car. I then tack it in place with some super glue.

The front bars are similar although since they will follow the windshield rake somewhat, we'll need to make our first bends and then mark for a second set in order to flow back with the front windshield pillars.

Again, set the body on and adjust as needed and then tack it with some super glue.

Remove the body and finish gluing the cage legs into the frame, usually from the bottom for a clean look. Then trim off the excess.

Next I add my top bars connecting the front to the back and then take one last body set check before throwing other bars into the cage.

You are basically locked in now so you can start putting additional bars anywhere you desire. Be careful to leave the top open for now and any other section you might need in order to get your seat, steering wheel and other detail items into the interior easily. I started filling in the side bars and then began to work on the rear shelf and you can see, once you get that basic "box" in place the rest is just a breeze and a lot of fun to tinker with. Hope this helps someone on their next roll cage build! Thanks- David

I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

BobD

Re: Cage Building on an old NASCAR
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
Another great "refresher" course!  Thanks David!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
Great tutorial to save one of these big Chevy's, David!!!  I really love the old, full size racecars no matter what the make!!! gb :D
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
I've been building cages pretty much like this since your first tutorial. Thank you, thank you, thank you....
Rett

Stormin Norman

• real race cars don't have doors
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 02:54:43 PM »
this is awesome great fab work!!!!... :D :D :D :D
"some guys need to know there limitations"

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing, David. Good tips!

pdaly28

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »
wow,thanks for the tip David.My next might go a little easier!