Author Topic: 53 Stude Dragster Completed 1-5-2018  (Read 6240 times)

David Bogard

53 Stude Dragster Completed 1-5-2018
« on: January 31, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »
I have been tinkering with this '53 Stude on the side while working on the Asphalt Pinto Modified and it's really starting to come together. Still a ways to go but I got the basics of the underside done, all of the body work done and even took a stab at a three color fade paint job. So far, so good. Everyone knows I have a real soft-spot for those old '53 Studebakers and this one's kind of a mixture of the old and the new.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:29:03 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Michael F

Re: 53 Stude Dragster
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »
David,

this is one sharp looking model. I´m very jealous on this very clean paintjob.
It looks like a candy!!
Greetings from Germany!

Prostreeter69

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »
Hey David
Well done! I really love that color.  Looks like maybe you shortened the body?

Jon
Mopar or no-car

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
WOW!!
That is one very cool "hot rod"!!
Ed K.

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »
I am with you on Studie’s, they should have started drug testing on their design team way back in the thirties. The body designs on Studebakers was so far forward it literally spooked the market. In the late thirties when Ford was building some of the ugliest trucks in their history, Studebaker was building a pickup that rivaled the designs of some luxury cars. And their first V8’s were a big surprise to the big three auto makers as well. Even turbochargers didn’t scare Studebaker, they loved them.
 My uncle owned ‘53 Hawk, and let me “help” him shave the emblems, and convert the hood, and trunk, latches to inside activated pull cables. It was so fast for its day that my mother finally forbade me to ride in it.

Olderndirt

Lefturns75

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
Older, I loved the Studes.  My first car was a Stude, the second, the third and then I got married and all that fun stopped.  I think the biggest jolt to the Automotive crowd was when Studebaker put the back on the front around 49 or 50.  I think my old Stude Pickup I drove in high school had more options than the new stuff did.  Overdrive, Hillholder brake, steel bed floor with double wall sides, vent shades on the windows and even though I didn't smoke, a cigar lighter that would light it for you.  The V8 was only 224 cubes but with the 4:27 rear gear with posh-track you could roast some tires. 

Dirtman

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
Good friend of mine in high school had a '53 with a full house, tri-carbed Caddy with a Cad/Lasalle floor shift. It was FAST! Not too many wanted to try and go up against it!! It was all black, 710's in front 900's in the rear.All black with a very small pink pin strip on the body line on the side. Three little bonnets sticking slightly up thru the hood. Car looked like it was going fast just sitting at the curb!!!

Rett

Charlie.D

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
Beaiftul paint job david
Charlie Daniel

Bob P.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »
Very nice build and outstanding paint job.

Bob

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 06:12:16 AM »
WOW, you hit all the marks with this kool Stude!!!  I love the paint, the short wheelbase, the stance, the blower, the everything!!!  Sweet!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤗🏁gb
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
Re: 53 Stude Dragster Completed 1-5-2018
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
Dang...Dang!!!   David...That Studeee.... flat looks GREAT! You sure laid down a Beautiful Paint job on this puppy. LOVE IT!!!
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Michael F

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 03:55:15 PM »
Hey David,
very cool idea on the red tinted windows and nice details on the blower.
Actually, i´m not a big dragster fan, but this one blows me away!!
Greetings from Germany!

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »
Wow! This thing turned out really cool!

sentsat71

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
While not a huge drag fan.....have dabbled with a few over time.....bought the AMT double dragster kit, back in 1972, the one with Fiat, that was reissued a few years ago, After building the Fiat version, tried turning it into a modifed, not happy with the results and tossed by the mid '70's, the rail was built with the streamlined body, but it didn't survive one of the purges that really started Dec 1980.....The other was the Monogram '57 Chevy funny car(?). that one is still around, though the decals have cracked over time (Most likely when stored in a non-climate controlled storage unit in ABQ Jul-Dec 2005). One reason for buying that one.....slogan somewhere on the box art and decal sheet, "We try harder"....slogan for the rental car company I worked for...(for 28+ years)
Do have one of the recent reissues of the AMT double drag kit.....Know I started on the rail frame, and, maybe even the Fiat frame.....also have the recent re-issue of the "Cop Out" funny car....also started.....this one was started in my little studio apartment in ABQ......
Ed K.