Author Topic: 2/13/18 MPC Stocker Build Tips  (Read 11104 times)

David Bogard

2/13/18 MPC Stocker Build Tips
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:28:54 PM »
I picked up a couple of these kits for cheap because I wanted to build a Lennie Pond car and a Benny Parsons car, kind of a "Lennie and Benny" pair. I opened one of them up tonight and man, what a mess they are. There is so much flash on all the parts on the tree that you will spend much time simply carving and sanding them back into some semblance of what they were supposed to be. I also didn;t know this thing would be molded in blue and black and that is kind of weird. Anyway, let's see what issues we have.

First thing we have to do is get the two-piece frame put together in the right place. I went ahead and built the basics of the suspension parts and the wheel in order to help get things lined up. I measured out the body wheel well centers and they were 214mm apart center-to-center.

Next, you will sand off those little locator knobs on the frame because putting those into any of the three optional holes provided will produce a wheel base that is off.

Now, using our template, I can do some test fitting.

WHen the frame is ready to be put together at the correct distance, you will notice that the halves are not exactly where they would have been using the kit knob/holes. You'll end up kind of like this photo but don;t worry, your will be correct!

The photo is deceptive because we are right on the money!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:21:30 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Michael F

Re: MPC Stocker Build Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
David, i appreciate your tips on modeling. As you permitted, i copied and pasted your gauge faces. Very usefull !!
And i´ll keep my eyes on your Chevelles, i have the Penny Parsons Kings Row Chevy also in my stash.
I think, to get the wheelopenings in the right shape will be the hardest work for me, oh well... ::) ::)
Greetings from Germany!

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »
David I loved those kits……………..in 1971.  They have been modified and re-issued in so many ways I think they are worn out today.  I read in your post that you have never built one so now I understand.  Yep, you gonna have your hands full and get ready to add some words to your vocabulary.  I MIGHT build one of these if I could get hold of an original from 45 years ago but I won't even open the box on a later issue.  You have much more nerve than I do.  I would give the "Herk" Chevelle a shot I guess if I picked one up at a reasonable price.  These can be made to look pretty nice out of the box with some work and if you don't inspect it too close.  I am sure you will build a nice one so don't yell too much and I'll keep watching.  Get a pack of Rolaids for the work bench, you might need em. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:52:53 PM »
David, I read a thread some place where someone fixed the wheel well problem and it was not all that involved.  I'll be dipped in sheep dip though if I can remember where I read it.  If it was on the randy ayers forum, I am pretty sure it is gone to history.  It may have been an article in one of the model rags.  Maybe someone here can remember and fill us in.  You can do it, just eat your rolaids, all your creamed spinach and drink your oval tine and you will get it done.  On the other hand, I myself would not go to all that trouble.  I would simply use a 3 1/2 inch, max load, high brass charge in my Mossberg and be done with it.  The 500 works fine but its more fun if you are lucky enough to have a 930 SPX.

Lefturns75

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:06:03 PM »
Shucks, David, you can fix it.  Its not all that bad from what I remember reading.  Anyway, the only ones that would notice is those hard core rivet counters and most of the time they don't even have a clue how to fix it.  Do it, you'll make it look good.  Should you run across one of those 45 year old miller Chevelles let me know, I might attempt that one. 

Michael F

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
David, you have a PM .
Greetings from Germany!

Lefturns75

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 10:58:10 AM »
Ya know, when them knot-heads at MPC modified this tool for them 80's bodies, I noticed lots of different parts.  I remember the rear cage hoop, top hoop and front uprights changes some along with those crappy fitting firewall parts.  I never compared these newer releases with the originals real close but I think all those original firewall parts got tossed.  The early ones look nothing like this newer stuff.  If there is someone on this board that has spent a lot of time fooling with these things and knows all the changes, post em!  I would like to know if I have spotted all of them.  I remember that none of these kits fit that great but the originals were better than this newer stuff.  I built the Cale Yarborough version of this kit years ago and I can see lots of differences here. Somebody knows and I am sure David wouldn't mind if you posted em in this thread.  It would be some good info on future builds of this stuff and give us an idea where to jack parts.   Keep hacking David, you will get it done even with the heartburn. 

Lefturns75

Re: 2/13/18 MPC Stocker Build Tips
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 07:10:18 PM »
Yep, that looks a TON better than what ya get outta the box.  The distance between the front fender opening and the nose always seemed to be a little too long to me on these kits but that may just be my Mr. McGoo eye.  After the mods to clean up those crappy outta the box wheel openings thats not even an issue.  This looks so much better.  Wish we had a more accurate chassis to put these bodies on but that's a whole Nother thread of bad words, cut fingers and work.

Michael F

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:19:27 AM »
This how it should look like!!
Very nice work on the wheelopenings, great !!
Greetings from Germany!

Michael F

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
Hey David,

i never wanted to set regulations to anybody how to build a model ;) ;)
It´s your model and you should do with it whatever you want to do !!

Hmm, i´m thinking about putting my Benny Parsons Chevelle body in a parcel and send it to somebody in Arkansas to fix
the wheelopenings profesionally on my Chevelle...

Just kidding, you know... ;D ;D ;D

Yours looks great !!
Greetings from Germany!

TarheelRick

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »
It was a compliment to you Michael! It;s easy to see by your build quality that you have a real "eye" for things and I respect that. I never took it as setting standards but rather being pushed to be a better builder. I am a "pigeon" but flying amongst all of you "eagles" makes me better! So thank you again!!
If you are a pigeon, than I must be the windshield. :-\  Your builds are outstanding and watching them come together is very informative.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Michael F

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »
I get ideas and inspiration from every builder on here.

I´ll second this !!

You guys do a great job on your models. Everything you build is an inspration for me and inducement to build better models !!

David, i can´t wait to see this one finished!
Greetings from Germany!

BobD

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 04:10:03 PM »
Another great, informative series of build tips here David!  Always look forward to these - we can all learn something from "the pros" here!

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 07:34:08 PM »
Man David...That really turned out Great. Your fab work on this is A1 my friend. GREAT JOB...
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Dirtman

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
Great work man!

Rett