Author Topic: Alternators in 60s and 70s late models?  (Read 6282 times)

Rod Statsman McLeod

Alternators in 60s and 70s late models?
« on: March 20, 2018, 09:28:01 AM »
Around here no one ran an alternator in their car during the 60s and 70s. You would charge the battery on Saturday afternoon and be good to go for the night's racing.

Was this a common practice in other parts of the country or just something us crazy canucks did?

It is one of the things I always do to my late model engines from this period.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Alternators in 60s and 70s late models?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »
Yeah, here in Iowa that's the way we ran.  No alternator and we used VW fan belts on the crank and water pump on our small block Chevy's.  I think that was pretty common until the mid seventies.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Rod Statsman McLeod

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:24 AM »
Yes I think the VW belt was used here too.

It is an easy mod to make. I usually cut a piece out of the belt and file a taper on each end before gluing it back to the pulleys. A little file work to round the ends after that and voila.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:39:46 PM »
Great idea for making the belts.  I've tried different tapes but they just don't have the dimensions of a belt. Don't know about you guys but we used two groove pulleys and two belts in case one should break.  We used VW beetle gas tanks as well in our cars...🤗🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Rod Statsman McLeod

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:27:54 AM »
I've seen my share of VW gas tanks and also have seen some use of the double belt setup.

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
IIRC, think the same set up was used for the F-8 car I crewed on for a year and half at Ascot in Southern Calif. However the owner/driver insisted on having a power steering unit. Don't know why that just hit me.....
Ed K.

pdaly28

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
never ran alternators in our modifieds or late models.Juat a good battery and charge it between heats and main event.We did run one in our west coast protruck because rules required it