Author Topic: GT-40 Nightmares  (Read 6126 times)

Lefturns75

GT-40 Nightmares
« on: April 23, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »
Some years ago, I picked up an IMC GT-40 kit from another modeler.  It was complete, unassembled save for the body panels poorly painted in some kind of transparent red.  I figured it was a real bargain for $5.  Now I built a few of these in my younger days and THOUGHT I remembered that the body panels fit well.  After I cleaned it up I test fit some of the panels and figured I was good to go and set about a careful assembly with some added details.  Everything went great!  Parts fit, the added details went smooth and then came the final body panel fitting.  AARRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!  Nothing, I mean Nothing fit or would line up.  All the chassis work and then the body looked like garbage.  It has been back in the box for years until I took these photos.  I think my best bet is to display this pig with the panels removed in some sort of shop setting. 

Like I said, things went well and the detail work went smooth.

The tricky suspension went well and I was happy.  I didn't think it would go that easy but it did.

I was very happy with the dash and interior.  I thought my eyes were going to fall out but I got the details done.

then came the day for the final fit of the body panels.  From the fit, I am sure you can understand how many bad words I started to learn and things I threw.  I fussed, fumed, cussed, stomped, and had a few tantrums  and then tweaked on the body for almost a week with no luck.

I am sure this has happened to anyone that has built kits for a while.  Every now and then one just fights you.  At some point I will display this one with the panels off.  For now, it is still in the box. 

Lefturns75

Re: GT-40 Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »
I think you got the best idea David.  I figure I will give that a shot when I stop getting ill when I look at this thing.  The ones I did in the past were the original 64 version, a MK II and MK IV.  This one was the Gulf version and for all I know, that one may never have fit well.  I remember the panels fitting much better on the other issues and have seen them built through the years and none of them fit this bad.  Maybe I just drew a turkey.  I don't remember who the modeler was that I got the kit from but I hope he had a grease burger, golden fries and a molten applesauce pie at his local grease palace with the $5 I gave him and got heartburn.   

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
Tough luck with that one.  If my mind is working correctly (what mind I have left) I built attempted to build one of these monsters when it was first issued back sometime in the late 60's.  The thing was so fiddly with so many intricate, tedious parts I finally gave up on it and it disappeared into the modelling netherworld.  Up until I got that one I was hooked on AMT - six or eight engine pieces, front seats, a dash, steering wheel, and four wheels and tires.  I have often thought I would like to get another one.  I had a chance a couple of years ago but the guy wanted $75 and couldn't guarantee it was 100% complete.  ???
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Lefturns75

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »
Just have patience Rick, those are still out there and can be had for much less.  If you ever get the chance, try one of the Lola T-70 kits.  They go together very nice with some care and look great.

Dirtman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:03 PM »
Yeah, man, all those under the body detail are superb! I think a diorama of some type is in line.....too bad...

Rett