Author Topic: tires  (Read 8944 times)

bandit2026

tires
« on: May 30, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
Not meaning to step on any ones toes but I want to cast my own tires for my modified builds mostly early 60s stuff. Is there a good kit tire to copy or a good diameter and width for my mold? I will not use a venders tire as that just ain't right.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: tires
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:56:55 PM »
....a few items....
  Not to discourage you or anyone wanting to resin cast.....been doing it for 11 years.....almost a second hobby.

By the time you purchase the material to PROPERLY cast tires, you could have purchased a few sets of tires....I have yet to cast one tire and have no desire to do so at this time....I probably will at some point in time.
  Point is its less expensive to buy the parts or pieces that a vendor may have for sale than it is to try and do it your self.  I cast what I need for my builds that are not available from anyone ,anywhere.   
  Not all vendors care whether or not they have the dimensions of their tires posted on their website , which is their financial loss as far as I am concerned.  I recommend and have purchased tires from Big Donkey Resin  www.bigdonkeyresin.com   Called and talked to Larry about a period correct build that I was doing....he was very helpful.  Be sure to check out the gallery ....a lot of modified builds from the era that you are interested in are there with product information on the tires.
  Before you start pouring rubber and resin , I would suggest giving this forum a visit. 
  https://alumilite.freeforums.net/board/4/molding-casting    I'm over there as well, lots of helpful information plus Mike and Carol from Alumilite answer questions as well that are posted.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

bandit2026

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:56:54 AM »
Again, not meaning to cut any body out of business just wanted to try it for myself. Its just another step in modeling same as building my own roll cage or headers. Next I'd like to try doing some decals.

john2

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
 :)  Go for it, Bandit.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:42:40 PM »
Again, not meaning to cut any body out of business just wanted to try it for myself. Its just another step in modeling same as building my own roll cage or headers. Next I'd like to try doing some decals.
   David's right about the tires, just make sure that there is a 5/8" hole in the center...speaking of tires, where do you think the resin casters got their masters from...just saying....even if they sell a cross cut or diamond cut dirt tire of their own design , the master probably started out its life as a slick out of a kit which in a round about way is cutting into the profits of which ever company kitted it.....same theory applies to copying a kit decal sheet off the net and making your own....guilty to a degree :-X
  I have seen some tires out there that were mastered by someone who is connected with an internet/show vendor....one of a kind and quite impressed with the detail.

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

bandit2026

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 05:56:07 AM »
Thanks David that would be cool, but I'll need your return address.

bandit2026

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
David , You are da  man!  ;D ;D

bandit2026

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
They're hearrrrre  ;D

Right back at you