Author Topic: '41 Plymouth Completed 6-24-2019  (Read 7674 times)

David Bogard

'41 Plymouth Completed 6-24-2019
« on: May 28, 2019, 11:55:49 PM »
Thought I'd take a break from race cars and build a simple '41 Plymouth from AMT. Should have stuck with race cars! The kit had so much flash that it took me two days just to get that cleaned up. The fit is not terrible but detail is very minimal. The body is the most perplexing part. Overall, it's really quite nice except when it comes to the front. For some reason AMT chose to mold the front separately and it just doesn't fit very well at all. After a bunch of fiddling, you've got this squared off looking mess up front with big seams. Yikes! So, I sanded, filled seams with putty, sanded some more, filled again, and so on. It is finally starting to look fairly close and of course I had to make some new chrome ribbing with .020 round Evergreen since that tiny little (too small) rib never showed up with the front glued in and it got sanded off when all of the thrashing started. So here we are. Not all the way there yet up front but getting close. So anyone who wants to build this kit stock just needs to be ready to spend a bunch of time jacking around witht he nose. Why didn't AMT just mold it in like the rest of the nice body? I have no idea but it sure makes for a lot of unnecessary work.

Here's the "Pro-Built" one for the box art version of the same basic model kit. Look at the nose seams. And those look pretty good compared to what you start with! Still, you're going to want to smooth this thing out when you build yours.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:34:58 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Olderndirt

Re: AMT '41 Plymouth
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
David, you are right on the money with your evaluation of this kit. It’s a nice kit in many ways, but the shortcomings you mention would make it hard to build a nice factory stock, or even a mild custom, without a lot of rework. The two I built ended up being a early modified, and a radical custom for those very reasons. That front end, and the large amount of flash on the headlights made it a less than enjoyable build. I did love fabricating  all the speed equipment for the flathead six though, once again because the 318 cu.in. engine offered as a custom option, was very lackluster, and seemed to be undersized.

Olderndirt

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 01:55:07 PM »
David, that kit came along when AMT was gasping for air and right before it was sold to Matchbox/Lesney.  I am sure the way the front was molded was a tooling call to cut some costs.  The first couple of issues---Black car on red box and same artwork with addition of Matchbox logo--- have a crisper detail than the later versions.  I doubt this kit ever gets a tooling update as it never was a top seller in the AMT line.   I says just build it and do what ya gotta do.  If some Ya-Hoo says it's not correct they can go pound sand.  I figure you can make it look pretty outstanding correct or not and I am not sure I have ever seen over one 1:1 41 Plymouth so I wouldnt know if it's right or not.   Build on Picasso and don't sweat the small stuff.

john2

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
Careful David.  You'll hurt that little  Plymouth's feelings.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Marty W

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
HEY! Those wheels are NOT STOCK!  ;D

Marty W

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:37:03 AM »
Marty, I promise I am using only the stuff from the kit. I painted around a little on that front one and they will look something like that. However, now that you may have pointed out such a fatal flaw I think I will throw the entire thing in the fire. . . after I back over it with my truck. What was I thinking? How could I have have even attempted to pull off something so blatantly incorrect!!! I am banning myself temporarily for committing such a heinous modeling crime!

(Before anyone gets jacked up, this is an inside running thing with Marty and me so relax!  ;D)

LOL! Actually, if the rim was painted between the outer chrome ring and the hubcap, it would be stock. They just chromed the whole wheel.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
  A casual observers opinion....

I cant as easily identify cars older than the mid 50's as some can when it comes being able to identify looks or characteristics....that being said , I think that you are being too hard on yourself.  As Lefturns 75 pointed out, there are inherent flaws with this kit, not with the builder.  Sounds like you had a plan in mind and are executing it as far as what you thought needed done to make it look right.   

It's a hideous piece only in your minds eye....     
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

john2

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
I'll send you $3.00 Canadian for it.

john2

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 05:49:07 AM »
Well, I believe I am right  --   Marty built a pretty decent looking figure 8 car out of one. Maybe that would work for you too.

Or maybe it was Tarheel Rick.

TarheelRick

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 06:07:15 AM »
Well, I believe I am right  --   Marty built a pretty decent looking figure 8 car out of one. Maybe that would work for you too.

Or maybe it was Tarheel Rick.
Guilty!!  Of course I cut the front end off and bungee tied the hood down.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

john2

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
Thanks Rick.

Bob P.

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 06:41:05 PM »
Excellent work David, you have that old Plymouth looking good.

Bob

Lefturns75

Re: AMT '41 Plymouth 6-6-2019 Update
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »
David, you got that old dog kit looking beautifully ugly.  That is, beautiful work on a really ugly car.  I have a few of these in a pile and I think that is where I will leave them.  I think you could polish a turd and make it look like a brick of gold.  With that said, I have a couple of Palmer kits I outta send ya!  Not done much plastic lately, been in the middle of restoring some Tonka Trucks from my childhood.  I'll get back to gloo'in some stuff a little later.  This hobby of ours takes me in one big circle but it keeps me from getting burned out on one thing. 

john2

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
I guess this means you're not taking my $3.00 Canadian.

john2

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 06:12:22 PM »
That's great, David.  It is looking good.