Author Topic: '34 Ford Service Truck  (Read 6091 times)

Lefturns75

Re: '34 Ford Service Truck
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »
For some of you that are still a little confused and not sure, here is a short history of the 34 pickup kit.
1962-63  First issue AMT Trophy series kit with box art much like the current release.  The box was smaller.

Second issue Trophy Series version 1965.

Third variation about 1967-68 with some Dave Wilder box art.  Kit included a cardboard fold-up of Olens service station.  The same display can be found today in the Three Stooges version of the 25 T kit now called Oilys garage. 

Around 1969 the stake version came along in the plain box art with those "Duallys" you guys crave.

The next was the Street Rods series that came along around 1973-74.  The stake was deleted and the kit returned to the pickup version.

Around 1975-77 the Stake Version returned, not long before AMT was sold to Lesney/Matchbox.  The kit vanished and was not seen again.

Then in the early 90's the AMT tooling for the 34 was found by-----George Toteff, the man that created the AMT 3 in 1 kits to start with, bought the tooling and produced the kit under the Lindberg label.

Lindberg produced the kit in a number of different box art releases and once again today, the same kit is offered under its home label AMT after Round2 purchased all of the Lindberg holdings.  Thats the story, it is what it is.  There were no doubles, no clones or copied tooling.  Get one and enjoy some modeling history.

sentsat71

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:27 AM »
Lefturns75
Thanks for the history of this kit.

The stake version from around 1969 was the first time I remember seeing the kit....though I could have forgotten seeing one of the previous releases
It was the version from '73-'75 that was my next one....
Took the chrome wheels/tires from the my first one (unpainted)..painted the stake bed parts after pulling from the original build.
That build lasted until 2005, when the last BIG purge came, between unbuilt and built kits
Don't remember when I started grabbing the various Lindberg releases
One of the last bought was the last time AMT released the kit with the stakebed on the box art....
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »
Lefturns75

Here are the 2 other '34 Ford P/U releases

Released in 2006

Released in 2008

Have no idea of other releases by Lindberg between the 1992 release which according to the version I have which resembles the box you posted and these two before R2/AMT got the molds back when they acquired Lindberg.....
Even though the 2008 release does not show the stake bed on the box art the those parts are in the kit....

Chances are I was not looking for the kit during the 90's and up until to around 2005 when I started buying kits again....
Ed K.

Lefturns75

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 11:05:48 AM »
It is obvious to me that what I have done here is inadvertently hijacked Davids thread on his 34 build.  This should have been a different thread all together about the kits history and dual wheel setup.  So.....I suggest you go back to the top of this thread and eyeball Davids little jewel.  It is top quality and if that don't make you want to build one of these things you're just not into building.  I am sure he will give us a few more versions to look at and I look forward to them and I promise, David, I will stick to the topic at hand when I comment and not get diverted off on a bus ride to Cucamonga and all points west. 

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 05:07:25 PM »
Sweet service truck, David!  I started a hot rod pickup some years ago with a chopped top and a z’d from front and rear!  Might be time to revisit it!  I have a couple of unbuilts on the shelf for the community build, too!!!  Great subject matter and I love your builds.  Gotta get back on the Chevelle also...🏁
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:09:44 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

john2

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »
Thanks, David.

May as well  ask here ………………………    is Lindberg still in business ?  Anyone know ?
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

john2

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »
Thank you.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Marty W

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 01:58:33 PM »
Wow, another super clean build, David! Of course, I expected nothing less. Two big thumbs up!