Author Topic: Jim Strube 57 Chevy COMPLETED  (Read 8684 times)

Dirtman

Re: "57 Chevy Stock Car
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2021, 09:49:54 PM »
It is getting there. Can't wait for the finished product!

Rett

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2021, 11:13:05 PM »
Yes SIR...it is getting there.....
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

john2

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 05:47:49 AM »
It's great David, as usual, and I love the Tri 5s.  And I don't mean to mess up the works or anything. 

But, on the 1:1,  why in the world would anyone do those vertical stacks with all that open fender area ?  Maybe the fenders were put back on later ?   :-\
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Hondo

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 08:22:18 AM »
Looking good, David.
Don't  drop it in the snow when you go out to paint it ..........  ;D

Olderndirt

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2021, 09:48:16 AM »
 Just a possible answer for John’s question. We used to see this exhaust solution every so often years ago. The reason was we live on the biggest freshwater lake in California, where they have ski races, and used to have boat races, as well. It was pretty easy to find boat headers for little or nothing. Simply cut them off just before they make the turn into the collectors and bingo you have zoomies sticking out of your hood.

Olderndirt

David Bogard

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
I'm not really quite sure why some of those guys did that back in that era. OND's explanation is as good as any but a handful had them for a while. I must admit that I liked them as a kid watching those races. Did I mention that they were LOUD!!! But the best part was that month at the end of the regular season that they called "Open Competition" when guys could run Ether (among other things). Later in the evening when it was dark and seeing orangish-blue flames pop up out of the hood and hear the cackle at the end of the straightaways when they let off the throttle and rode the brakes was racing fireworks at it's best!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

David Bogard

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2021, 02:07:34 PM »
Here's the car on opening night the first year. Jim ran this thing a little over two years before he wadded up too bad to be repaired. I mentioned above that Jim Strube was a Cowboy behind the wheel and he won a lot and he bent up a lot of cars at the same time!

As they did back in the day, the car morphed many times over it's lifespan. Here it has got different (later) wheel and rims, different suspension, and of course, a bunch of dented up metal.

He always kept those little chrome tail fin accents though!

I am building a representative car that happened somewhere along it's life. Those old things changed so much (sometimes week-to-week) that you can't really build a "replica look" so it has to just be some general recreation that has the look and feel of what the car was.

john2

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2021, 08:42:11 PM »
Look at that BLACK dirt !!  That's why they can grow all that good corn.  I look at Knoxville, Iowa,  on tv and it looks like asphalt. 

Our Mississippi soil is not that good  --  light brown to red clay.  We have some great dirt track'n  though. 

That 16 is a great LM. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

David Bogard

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 03:23:26 PM »
Still in mock-up. Got the color on it and now I can do some detail work while waiting for decals. (and start another build!)

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 04:00:28 PM »
That's looking real good David. It's going to look even better with the decals on it.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

David Bogard

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 04:35:56 PM »
You're right Gary; it's the graphics that make it all work on any of these race cars! I will now be able to weather it some, finish little minor odds and ends and get it ready for final graphics and dull coat.

Fordguy01

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 05:22:03 PM »
My-oh My David you sure have a way of taking parts from various kits, mixing them together and coming out with a show winner every time.  That is a beautiful looking chevy late model.  Great Great job.  I like everything about it.

Al 

Bob P.

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2021, 07:40:51 AM »
Fantastic replica as usual David. Those decals will make it Pop.

Bob

BobD

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »
Looks like another beauty David! Ditto to all the above! I've seen many pics of Peoria-based racers, but not this one. How many Strubes were there? Seems like they raced for generations.

David Bogard

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 10:14:54 AM »
BobD, please click on the link and as you can see, we had the Strube Gang at Peoria for what seemed like forever and at one point we had Seven of them in the car count. They raced hard and fast and they would take one another out for the win if they had to!

https://www.peoriaoldtimers.net/the-strube-brothers