Author Topic: Tools  (Read 12492 times)

David Bogard

Tools
« on: October 04, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »
For me, the right tools for any job goes a long way towards the success of it and that is certainly the case with model building. I am opening a thread that shows the "Go-To Tools" that I use and hopefully the thread will be a "live" one and others will chime in about the tools they find that are "must-haves" for their work.

Cutting-
Sprue Cutters, high quality scissors, a razor saw with fine tooth blades, Exacto knives with an ample supply of blades (you need to change those blades a half dozen times just during a build sometimes- STOP with the dull blades!), wire cutters and tiny photo-etched saw blades are all a must for me.

Sanding and Shaping-
Sanding sticks, spring loaded sanding belts, sanding sponges, and an assortment of files.

Working in the Round-
A pinvise and a good set of bits and a punch set I picked up from Harbor Freight are great.

Marking and Holding-
Good metal rulers, squares and pattern markers are a must. Tweezers of all kinds, manual, holding and locking, and small clamps of various kinds are real handy.

Bending-
I have two tubing benders and one of my favorite tools is a small hammer type bending tool I picked up from a jewelry making site. Small needle node pliers are real handy too.

Glues-
I use extra Thick super glue (with extra tips as they get clogged), model master needle tip plastic glue as well as the clear glue and Microballoons.

I use all of the items shown (many the exact thing shown) and I;m not sure I could soldier on without any of them! Hopefully this will spark some input from the other builders here as to what tools they absolutely use and think are "must-haves" for good building! Thanks!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

sentsat71

Re: Tools
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:54:23 AM »
Thanks, David, for posting this.

Think this post needs to be "book marked" so it stays near the top.......

Something I thought of, but since I've yet to try it, When using super glues, would wearing "Synthetic Vinyl Examination Gloves" work to keep from glueing one's finger tips together?
I use them when working in my other hobby when working with a lot of white yarn. I get the powder free ones....
Or would or could the super glue soak through the gloves?
Even though I would wash my hands quite often, especially when working with white or other light colored yarns, that has not always worked.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 05:56:02 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

JimW

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »
if its ok I would like to add this  ...I sell all the number drill bits from #60 thru #79 these bits are high speed drill bits, the finest money can buy they are not the cheap one you get online , so if you brake or loose one and need a replacement bit  drop me a pm/dm I'll get you fixed up with some new drill bits  . the cost is $1.50 ea  free shipping  ....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:56:56 PM by JimW »
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:21:44 AM »
Thanks, David, for that tip...
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 06:17:37 AM »
 :)   David, you and Jim have covered things pretty well here, but I do have 3 to mention that I use pretty often.

1.  I use the small white plastic Midwest Products miter box for making straight and angle cuts on rod and tube to build roll cages, bumpers and nerf bars.  It is about 6 x 2 3/4 inches and you can cut 60, 45, 30, 22.5 angles plus the straight cuts.  I have about worn mine out. I know there are some that are aluminum.

2.  Also, I have a small metal wire bending jig, that I bought many years ago when I built and flew radio controlled model airplanes.  It has no identification on it, but it is about 4 1/4 x 1 inches, with holes to mount to a work bench.  It has 4 sizes of troughs that I use to heat and bend rod and tube.  You can also bend different angles with it, and curves.  There are 4 holes in it for pegs ( which who knows where they are 30 years later ) for other shapes or curves.  I am sure I got it at a hobby shop.

3.  And, I find the stir sticks that you get when you buy a gallon of paint to be helpful when you spray small parts.  I just double side some tape, with the parts stuck on, and if you tape 2 of the sticks together, you can hold them at arms length to spray.

Hope these ideas help someone.   :)
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Hondo

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
A couple more:

Hole puncher for small holes

Clamps

john2

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
 :)  You can also take those clothes pins apart, and turn them around for a longer clamping  surface.

JimW

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »
A couple more:

Hole puncher for small holes
Can't tell how of these hole punch's I'v bought over the years , I started working with leather back in late 1975 and it lead me to a full time /life time job , like most kids around Oklahoma/ Texas  I started out making belts and wallets for friends and family in the evenings as the years went on I learned to make more things with leather .  late 1979 I leaned to make cowboy boots and opened my own custom cowboy boot shop/shoe repair shop, in the mid 80's I started make fire prof driving shoe's for a lot of the World of Outlaws sprint car drivers , I make driving shoes for drivers all over the world not just sprint car drivers   but Nascar drivers (Ken Schrader ,Kyle Petty) ,as well, even afew pro NHRA drivers whitch lead us to start making all kinds of other safety equipement like seat belts , gloves and drivers suits and crew shirts , its kind of funny looking back on ones life and the roads that you take in life and where you end up , I'v always loved working with my hands weather it was a pair of custom made cowboy boots or with plastic model kits its all been fun !!
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

pdaly28

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:14:16 PM »
so david,i know your a fan of micro ballons,so I bought some and attempted to use it with gorilla super glue(blue label)man,is that stuff tough to sand.Makes tough joints,but joining panals,this is really tough to sand.What ca are you using?

pdaly28

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
I have not seen these products.gorilla glue is available everywhere,including thrifty drugs and I have used it for years.I'll see if I can find your stuff and give it a try.Hobby lobby chased all,and I mean all hobby shops out of boise.I buy all of my evergreen from a train shop in Spokane wa.i'll check with them also!

pdaly28

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:09 PM »
nice link david,but Iam deaf,so you tube type of stuff really doesn't held,but I looked on line and there is a lot of info there!Thanks any how!

pdaly28

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
ok,thanks
      btw,i lost one ear 3 years ago over night and the second early this year,again over night.I have a cochlear implant on my lf.and  a second that hopefully will work 1/18

pdaly28

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
By the way, I use the basic cheap old rubber sanding block a lot. I stick 180 or 220 grit in it and a lot of nice shaping and smoothing can be done with it quickly.

I also have as sandinding block that I cut in half that works well,and if model glue works for micro ballons,I have some and will try it.Thankfor the tools section!

john2

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 06:12:16 PM »
 :)  Just a thought that you can put in your file of practically worthless information --

On the emery boards that I sand with, I have cut them into thinner  widths to use in narrow spots.

But y'all probably knew that already.   ;D

pdaly28

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »
I've never tried regular old model car glue so I cannot say how that would work. It might. To your comment, I wished I had a little smaller block sometimes and your idea of simply cutting one in two is kind of "genius". I'll get another one and make sure I miss the little metal prongs as I happily saw one in half! Thanks Pat. (Duh...why didn't I think of that!  :o)
I wound up super gluing a trimmed off nail in it for more paper grip.works fine