Author Topic: 1/18 Dirt ...Sprint car/SuperModified  (Read 13252 times)

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
1/18 Dirt ...Sprint car/SuperModified
« on: October 17, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
This is a build of the type of car that was allowed to run both classes back when the Supermodified class was first started in N. Calif. The full roll cage was a bolt on to start with. Then they started to make them a permanent fixture and of course added the wings.

This build is of a typical(if there is one) car that ran then...it started life as a GMP kit and of course... things had to be changed. The chevy motor was made into a ford. The cage...wing..dash and gauges where all fabbed. Racing harness was made from 3M Nexcare cloth tape painted blue with a blue sharpie. The nerf bars and side bars are also fabbed out of Aluminum rod. All wired and minor plumbing...Decals are also done in house...Paint is Duplicolor.  I weathered this to look like the car just pulled into the pits after mud in and the start of hot laps.
Thanks for looking in and I hope you enjoy....

The engine.....

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:18:41 PM by Gary Davis »
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Bob P.

Re: Dirt SuperModified/Sprint car
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »
Well done replica type build Gary. All the modifications and decals look great.

I assume that's a 1/18th scale Travis sprint car kit, if so they are very hard to find these days.

Bob

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
Really neat. Great detail!!

Rett

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
wow! Outstanding! Haven't seen this one yet!

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »
Oh man that thing is gorgeous!!!!!!!! That engine looks good displayed by itself!!!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Gary Davis

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks for ALL the great compliments folks....

Well done replica type build Gary. All the modifications and decals look great.

I assume that's a 1/18th scale Travis sprint car kit, if so they are very hard to find these days.

Bob
Hey Bob...Thanks for the great compliment. I'm not familiar with TRAVIS. This is an 1/18 scale kit..and was made by GMP(Georgia Marketing Products)...who are now ACME Diecast. And Yes...this is a very hard to find kit. I built this about 10yrs ago. I bought the kit about 16 yrs ago..from GMP.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 06:51:52 AM »
OH MY!!!!

That is sooooo coooooollllllll, Gary

My mind must be failing me.....don't remember this one.....(hmmmmmm.... :) ;)  )

Trevis "built"?
Ed K.

Bob P.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
Travis Craft sprint cars were built in Ohio by Floyd Travis. His cars were used by many western and central Pa. owners in the late sixties through the seventies. Most of the sprint cars that raced the central Pa. tracks were Travis cars or copies.

I attached a link to the National sprint car hall of fame inducting Floyd Travis. This gives you the history of Travis Craft.

https://www.sprintcarhof.com/FileGet.aspx?ID=249

Bob

Gary Davis

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »
Hey Bob...thanks for the link. GREAT history there...I've got it saved/downloaded. As you mentioned...A LOT of teams/Drivers used his cars. Now that I have the info on Floyd Trevis...a person could say it was one of his cars...built in Washington...lol

Bill in MA

Re: Dirt ...Sprint car/SuperModified
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »
Another gem, Gary.  A real beaut!  Just the right amount of "dirtiness" on there.  Great stuff as usual!  8) 8)
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

Gary Davis

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
Thanks Bill!!

pdaly28

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 09:39:17 PM »
outstanding build!!

Gary Davis

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
Thanks Patrick...

pdaly28

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »
reminds me of the champ cars that ran on turkey night at Irwindale speedway(RIP).The Casey Luna Sprinter I ordered is supposed to be Ford powered buy reportedly has a chevy.

Gary Davis

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
Hey Pat...did you order the 1/24 Monogram kit? If so...it is a chevy motor. The 1/18 GMP kit does have the same thing going for it too. That's why I changed it over to the ford....just to be different..and the challenge...lol