Author Topic: masking paper  (Read 5634 times)

pdaly28

masking paper
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »
What do you usewhen two toning?I have this trouble when using testors lacquer only.Masked off a roof(I know not to use news paper)with regular paper you might use in your printer.After painting,I let it dry for a couple of hours only to have the paper stick to the roof.The paint on the roof(testors white lacquer)was a week old and should have been cured.I never have this when I use tamyia,but here in the boise area you are stuck with hobby lobby and they sell testors.I am now stuck with letting the new color cure so I can wet sand the roof and tape off the new paint to repaint the roof!

JimW

Re: masking paper
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »
I use brown paper that sold at Home Depot ,  it's in the paint department and never had a problem with using it and Iv used all type of paint with this paper , hope this helps ya
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

pdaly28

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
great,worth a shot and thanks.David..my 1st color what white,I waited 1-2 weeks before shooting my second color(gold).Hobby lobby is the only game in town,chased all of the others out.And no,testors/model master are not my 1st choice either.Thanks!!

pdaly28

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »
I have wet sanded theroof,and I want the gold to cure for a weekeven though it's lacquer.I'll go by Walmart and get some masking paper.Hope that will be the end of it!Thanks for all your help,have a great week

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
I, like David, rarely use masking paper. Wide cheap blue tape works fine for me. Most model bodies are so small that paper isn’t flexible enough to wrap around them without a gap. Wide tape having an adhesive back allows you to stick it to the body, or itself, and minimize leaks.
 I live in a county without a hobby shop. The nearest one is sixty miles away, one way, so I don’t get there very often. Most of my models are painted with automotive touch up paint, or hardware store rattle cans. I try to work as much as I can in lacquer, but some colors aren’t available in lacquer, so I use enamel. A local automotive paint store has a water base automotive finish line I would love to try, but they don’t offer it in small quantities, so I haven’t tried it yet. I did drop off a few bottles and asked them to save me the dregs in the bottom of the cans when the mix colors, but they haven’t gotten around to doing that yet.

Olderndirt

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »
I've always just used tape to cover the areas.... I used to use newspaper until it bled through, then went to strictly just tape. Wide 2 inch blue for covering big areas, and 1 inch for edging and even pin striping tape for when you want to make curves such as following a body line...
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

pdaly28

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »
thanks doc!I have 2 rolls of 3m pinstriping tape(1/16,1/18)that I keep in a plastic bag.I am for this deal going to use masking paper with a hole the size of the roof cut out and mask around it.I'll let you know how that works!

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
Sounds good Pat, good luck with it!!!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Dirtman

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »
I'm like most on here. Tamiya for the edge, blue painters tape after that. I also throw on a light coat of clear before I do the second coat. No bleeding. Having said that, if I'm REAL careful and REAL patient, it comes out pretty good. I have had trouble with those two! lol

Ret

pdaly28

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:08:28 PM »
I've always just used tape to cover the areas.... I used to use newspaper until it bled through, then went to strictly just tape. Wide 2 inch blue for covering big areas, and 1 inch for edging and even pin striping tape for when you want to make curves such as following a body line...
I am going to try create,available at h/l and air brush ready.lots of colors,and with the 40%cupon about 2.90 a bottle

john2

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:12:42 PM »
 :)  Pat, be careful with that Create paint.  I believe it dries flat.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4